Adding soapstone after build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Adding soapstone after build

Looking for opinions on adding a soapstone floor after the completed build. Have a 2 inch ceramic board base with standard thickness firebrick. This sits on a 4 inch concrete slab. The positive and the negative. I realize I would be cutting down on the entry height. My oven preforms wonderfully, but something can always be improved upon. What thickness would need to be added for it to be justified?

Re: Adding soapstone after build

There is a whole thread in the forum somewhere about the +/- of soapstone. I think there is some argument that it heats up almost too quickly, making it not the best for pizza but better for bread IIRC. Others say it is great for pizza (GF has it in his oven, and there was some builder who only built ovens with soapstone bases). But I think the biggest issue for most of us is the cost of the stuff. If you have access to cheap soapstone, then I would check it out.

One difference you might consider is if the arguments on the +/- refer to a thicker base of soapstone (e.g. 2 inches) vs. a thinner layer over firebrick. I think it's the former. Not sure that a thin veneer of soapstone over firebrick would perform the same as just soapstone.
    My build progress
    My WFO Journal on Facebook
    My dome spreadsheet calculator

Comment

Just some thoughts here.

By adding a veener of soapstone, you will likely loose some performance of your firebrick as thermal mass. You will not have constant contact between soapstone and the firebrick, heat transfer from the soapstone into the firebrick will be limited.

Originally, I was thinking of using soapstone for my hearth and countertop because of its heat properties....and I liked the look of it. I got a sample tile of it to play with only to realize how very soft it is and how easily it scratches. I didnt care so much for scrathcing inside the oven, but outside, I wanted it to look good. I went with firebrick inside oven and porcelain tile outside.

Why do you want to add soapstone if your oven already performs well?

Comment

Wayne,

Now that I'm one year into firing my oven on a regular basis, here are some observations regarding my soapstone floor. Keep in mind that I do not have comparative or direct experience with a firebrick floor, only the soapstone.

It has been a joy to work my oven building fires, baking pizza/bread and active-fire cooking on SS. I was fortunate to acquire three pieces (3cm or 1.25") of virtually vein-free material save for one talc vein. I placed this piece front and center in the event it cracked and I needed to replace it. It took exactly three fires for it to crack, and other than cosmetics, it hasn't caused any grief so I'm leaving it for now. I believe the (2.5") thicker soapstone bricks and slabs (used by Windage in his monster 81" commercial oven) do not have the propensity to crack like the 3cm stuff.

The SS floor heats up very fast, presumably faster than a firebrick floor. It took a while to learn how to balance the oven for pizza, and required me raking new coals onto the floor to load the firebrick subfloor. Once done, along with a loaded (900F) dome and broiler-like flames on both sides, magic happened (Light from above and angels sing). I got a creamy crust that was so light and crispy, and had just the right amount of tooth resistance and flavor from a 3-day cold ferment. Best pizza crust I have ever had. I would like to say its because of the SS, but I doubt it. Still, a pizza cooked in 90-100 seconds is memorable.

I'm not so sure there is a performance drop-off of the SS sitting on firebrick. During pizza sessions, the floor remains consistent and can take a succession of pizzas onto the same spot with no drop-off as long as there is an active flame. I believe this is because the loaded firebrick (direct contact) subfloor emits stored heat rather than absorb it, like insulation would. I agree the SS floor begins to cool off once active flames subside, but I'm convinced the cooling curve is longer because of the firebrick.

The biggest drawback and source of disappointment for me is that the SS gets too hot for hearth bread (flat bread rocks). I have burned numerous batches of sourdough bottoms, and continue to search for ways to get around this. Granted, in my stubborn impatience I have not fully loaded the oven and waited for the floor and dome to equalize properly. Perhaps if I did this, I would find that the SS matches the dome temp and all will be good. Duh!

All in all, I'm happy with the decision to go with SS, but if you're looking to enhance the performance of your already excellent oven, I'm not sure the small incremental benefit is worth the time and expense, especially if it cracks down the road.

HTH,

John

Comment

Thanks for your thoughts on this subject. Looking at different options should I decide to build a 2nd oven in the future. This spring I will post more photos of my completed build.
          Last edited by Campmaki; 01-09-2015, 07:50 AM.

Comment

John, you might try the trick that I saw Richard Miscovich use when baking bread in a Pompeii, when the steaming is done and the loaf is set and the bottom is about where you want it, balance the loaf on edge against the side wall. I don't know if this will help you but it'll minimize the contact with the soapstone floor and should allow you a more even bake. Also have you tried using parchment paper under or are you pushing 480F+?.

FYI About Richard Miscovich;
            http://www.amazon.com/Wood-Fired-Ove...ood+fired+oven

Chris

Comment

Thanks, Chris. The best oven temp of the loaves below was right at 500F. I have tried parchment paper (which helped a little), then aluminum sheet pans (didn't help), and finally, aluminum pans with stainless mesh racks (did work) inside. I fear the lack of initial floor contact is causing a loss of oven spring.

My best results come from 5min on the sheet pan and then onto the mesh. I read through the tilting technique previously, and will try it out, but the reality is that I first need to properly saturate the oven and let it coast to proper temp.

Comment

Hey John, on page 171 in the book referenced above, Richard states that he bakes most of his hearth bread at 450F, hearth temperature. This is a far cry from 500 or even 475.

Chris
                Last edited by SCChris; 01-12-2015, 08:20 AM.

Comment

Thanks, Chris. Good advice. Next bake I will fully saturate the oven and patiently wait for the oven to equalize to 450F. Hopefully it will match my proofing schedule.

Comment

Originally posted by GianniFocaccia View Post
                    Wayne,

Now that I'm one year into firing my oven on a regular basis, here are some observations regarding my soapstone floor. Keep in mind that I do not have comparative or direct experience with a firebrick floor, only the soapstone.

It has been a joy to work my oven building fires, baking pizza/bread and active-fire cooking on SS. I was fortunate to acquire three pieces (3cm or 1.25") of virtually vein-free material save for one talc vein. I placed this piece front and center in the event it cracked and I needed to replace it. It took exactly three fires for it to crack, and other than cosmetics, it hasn't caused any grief so I'm leaving it for now. I believe the (2.5") thicker soapstone bricks and slabs (used by Windage in his monster 81" commercial oven) do not have the propensity to crack like the 3cm stuff.

The SS floor heats up very fast, presumably faster than a firebrick floor. It took a while to learn how to balance the oven for pizza, and required me raking new coals onto the floor to load the firebrick subfloor. Once done, along with a loaded (900F) dome and broiler-like flames on both sides, magic happened (Light from above and angels sing). I got a creamy crust that was so light and crispy, and had just the right amount of tooth resistance and flavor from a 3-day cold ferment. Best pizza crust I have ever had. I would like to say its because of the SS, but I doubt it. Still, a pizza cooked in 90-100 seconds is memorable.

I'm not so sure there is a performance drop-off of the SS sitting on firebrick. During pizza sessions, the floor remains consistent and can take a succession of pizzas onto the same spot with no drop-off as long as there is an active flame. I believe this is because the loaded firebrick (direct contact) subfloor emits stored heat rather than absorb it, like insulation would. I agree the SS floor begins to cool off once active flames subside, but I'm convinced the cooling curve is longer because of the firebrick.

The biggest drawback and source of disappointment for me is that the SS gets too hot for hearth bread (flat bread rocks). I have burned numerous batches of sourdough bottoms, and continue to search for ways to get around this. Granted, in my stubborn impatience I have not fully loaded the oven and waited for the floor and dome to equalize properly. Perhaps if I did this, I would find that the SS matches the dome temp and all will be good. Duh!

All in all, I'm happy with the decision to go with SS, but if you're looking to enhance the performance of your already excellent oven, I'm not sure the small incremental benefit is worth the time and expense, especially if it cracks down the road.

HTH,

John
                    hi John.

Must be losing the plot over here. I thought your oven was Soap Stone then you started referring to SS. I instantly started reading Stainless Steel not realizing SS was Soap Stone.

Deeeeeeeeeeeeeerrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr might go and have another beer.
                    Cheers Colin

My Build - Index to Major Build Stages

Comment

Colin,

Sometimes SS looks like stainless steel to me too, and I wrote it. Definitely time to go have another beer.

Comment

Yeah think I might lol. Did another render coat then ran out arrrghhh.

Thought I was near sealing but now have to wait another week.
                        Cheers Colin

My Build - Index to Major Build Stages

Comment

Working...
                        X