Connecting front to dome

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Connecting front to dome

Hi, I'm on my fourth course now and have begun to connect my dome to the opening area. Does this look viable? I really couldn't figure out exactly how this was done from the plans, so I just gave it a go. I am worried that the angle doesn't match the curvature around the rest of the dome. Anyone have any tips/advice? Also, does the half brick mortared to the angle iron have enough strength to support the dome? It doesn't seem nearly as strong as the columns of arching bricks in the rest of the dome.

Re: Connecting front to dome

I used a brick arch instead of angle iron, but I don't see any concerns with your design - strength does not come from the adhesion of the mortar as much as from a smooth line of force. Continue your arch upwards from the angle iron - the angle iron serves as the base for that part of the dome arch in the front. Roughly mating the proper angle of the iron to the dome bricks is the best you can do. Any other thoughts from those who have used angle iron?

Comment

I found the initial positioning of the arch is absolutely critical. I struggled with the positioning, couldn't figure it out & so just went for it. Big mistake, after a lot of free hand grinding I managed to get an acceptable result, (barely). The course that closes the arch did't have enough surface are to lay the brick so I added another brick to the arch & cut a longer dome brick.

Comment

Balty,

Thanks for this series of photo's - and the others you've been posting in the photo section. They certainly clarify how you've tied the dome courses in to the brick arch to achieve a most acceptable result!

I'm about to lay my floor, and am currently wrestling with precisely where to position the arch relative to the dome, and agree that it's critical. Too far forward and my fourth or fifth course dome bricks will be floating in space! Your arch seems to be back (ie towards the centre of the dome) quite a way, and still you've had to modify this last ring some.

How would you do it if you were starting over? I'm wondering if one option might be to go to an oval shape behind the top of the arch so that the upper courses can 'reach' the arch - like the MHA example (although that one did start as an oval I recall).

Thanks again - it's certainly a magnificent looking structure you've got there!

Paul.
        Last edited by Hendo; 06-05-2007, 07:00 PM. Reason: clarification

Comment

Paul
          This is my first real attempt at brickwork so perhaps one of the experienced guys can strike some light on the correct positioning of the opening but this is how I did it. I wanted the opening 20 x 12-1/2 as close to the front of the dome as possible. I struck a 20" chord on the 42 dia floor & placed the inside edge of the opening bricks there. I should have placed them at least 2 or maybe 3 inches closer to the center, is would have allowed the dome bricks to intersect better leaving plenty of surface area for mortar. If I could have figured it out I would have placed he opening so the top edge intersected exactly with the relevant dome ring.

I don't see an way around free form grinding the top of the arch to the correct angle. I bought a Bosch for 75 bucks that included a diamond blade, seemed like a good deal. Makita had a similar deal for less but I prefer to buy high quality tools when I can.

Hope this helps. Perhaps one of the other guys can share their experience here also.

Rgds

Balty

Comment

I also struggled with the connection but finally found a way. Take a look at
            de broodoven (a.k.a. pizzaoven, bakoven, steenoven, houtoven) - ovenmond or de broodoven (a.k.a. pizzaoven, bakoven, steenoven, houtoven) - zweetdruppels for another way to do this (i.e. cut the archstones instead of the domestones). Text is in dutch but the pictures are self explanatory to some extend. I must say it made a strong arch.

Regards,

Rick
            Last edited by rick; 06-07-2007, 09:25 AM. Reason: added another link

Comment

Here is a link to a translated version of the sight. He has a link to FB on his links page under oven consrtuction.

Translation of

J W

Comment

Rick, JW

Thanks for your posts. This looks like a great way to marry up the arch to the dome. It achieves much the same result as Balty's method but uses longer arch bricks rather than longer dome bricks to meet up over the arch.

Still a lot of cutting either way, but certainly better than what I was considering - a true hemispherical shape is retained above the arch, rather than an ovoid one, or teardrop as I envisaged mine would grow into.

What are your thoughts, Balty?

Oh, and I like the builder's witty comment about it not really being too complex. As an example of something which is complex, he has inserted a link to Gaudi's Sagrada Familia in Barcelona! Point taken.

Cheers, Paul.

Comment

Paul,

That's exactly what I should have done. Looks great to me.

Rgds

Balty

Comment

Working...
                  X