Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The plan was to use clay, I started using brick today. Paul's 36"er

Hello Paul150

The sand/fire clay layer is there merely to get the hearth bricks to lay level and even not to add any thickness. It will take up any variation in thickness in the hearth bricks.

David

Comment

Originally posted by oblertone View Post
      The main reason for laying the oven floor on a mix of any sort is to achieve a level finish, if you can achieve that by using the cement board alone then I'd carry on without; if not then fine sand alone can help.
      One other observation I'd make; have you calculated and reserved enough space on your plinth for the insulation layer on the exterior or your oven dome. A smaller (internal diameter) oven with good insulation will be far more satisfactory that a bigger 'leaky' one.
      The ID of my base is 52". I made it that way because in my original clay design I was making a 32" dome with 10" (3 layers) of clay sand and cob mixtures for a total of 52". Now after reading builds and posts I decided I could do a 36"er with 4.5" brink walls, 3" blanket, and .5" vermicrere on the bottom 4 inches and the 1" the rest of the way up once I get past the rock I have already set. Then my mortared rock the rest of the way up and over.

Comments or suggestions?

Comment

Well, I finally finished my spring honey do list and am back to work on the oven. I just finished my third row and have 9 inches of vertical done on my 12" arch. I have been searching on how to cut the inside of my arch, or not, to make it easier for the dome tie in. I see many photos that leave it square and just cut the dome pcs, including the forno pompeii oven plans, and I see many photos where it looks like they were cut. Seems to me either way it can be a disappointing task until complete or way too technical for me. I played with it for several hours yesterday. Holding up bricks and using my IT marking, cutting, fitting, not good.

Any particular links you could point me to I would appreciate it.

Comment

do a search for Lbouro treasures and particular look at Octoforno build as well as Sharkey and Aidan's Stargate build. these are all hemisphere arches. Post some pics of where you are in your build for us please. What type of arch are you planning?

Texman
          Texman Kitchen
          http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/t...ild-17324.html

Comment

Will take pics tonight. It was dark the last couple of nights when I finished. My arch or opening is 19" wide and 12" high. I already put up my straight verticals of 9" and made a form to arch from there up to 12 in the middle. I will also take pics of that too. Thanls for the links I will look at them today. Man that IT tool was a awesome idea/invention. I built a low tech one, but I cannot imagine doing this without it.

Comment

Laid down a fourth row last night, avoided the arch. I looked at the builds you suggested Texman, still not feeling good about diving in. I know I got some cleaning up to do however this is my progress and arch delema situation.

Relying on advice.

Comment

I am looking for any feedback or pros and cons for merging my arch to dome. I figure I have 3 options and no low tech solution at this moment. 1) leave my arch bricks squared off, mortar them in and cut the dome bricks to "fit" 2) try to pre cut the arch bricks (45 degrees?), mortar them in and then also fit my dome bricks as I get there 3) try to cut and fit both together as I go or no pre portaring my arch. I'm wide open for solutions/recomendations,etc.

Comment

Hello Paul

Making good progress so far. It is better if you can avoid having the brick joints line up chain to chain. Use a narrower brick if necessary to stagger the joints. If you start the chain at the back of the oven you can offset the joint by half a brick and do the makeup bricks at the front where no one will see. I think that when they line up they call that a Running Bond.

As to the dome to entry way connection. I did the arch and dome together cutting the arch bricks and dome bricks to fit. It was a bit tricky and caused some head scratching. Also some angle grinder work to get a good fit. I did add the temporary leg to my IT tool to help prevent the arch dip some people get.
                  Some builders have cut the arch bricks to an angle and completed the arch then married the dome to the arch.
                  I think either way is successful just a different approach to the same problem.

David

Comment

OK, Thanks. And yea I didn't notice my joints until I look at the pics again. I started off, off set, but between the dome shape and maybe using a smaller brick they got lined up again some how. I will pay closer attention next time(s).
                    Last edited by Paul150; 05-13-2015, 11:57 AM.

Comment

Hello Paul

It is amazing how much you notice in a photo that you don't see in person.

David

Comment

I also noticed that my assistant has been rubbing mortar in between all the little overlaps on the inside. Do I need to remove what has been done for 4 layers? I think the reason to keep it clean is that with the heat it degrades over time and can fall onto what you are cooking. Yes or no?

Comment

Hello Paul

The cleaner you can keep the brickwork during your build the better it will look when you are finished.
                          On my build I would wipe over the bricks and joints with a damp rag or sponge at the end of every day. It cleans up much better when the mortar is fresh.

I do not think there is much danger of it falling into the cooking unless there are big gobs of mortar hanging from the joints.

David

Comment

I put down row 5 last night, still avoiding the arch/dome merger. Unless someone can change my mind I am going to use an exercise ball to finish the dome. I have a couple different sizes to work with. Anyone have experience with that process that wants to give me any tips/tricks and/or advise what row I could start using it instead of the IT?

Comment

Originally posted by Paul150 View Post
                              I put down row 5 last night, still avoiding the arch/dome merger. Unless someone can change my mind I am going to use an exercise ball to finish the dome. I have a couple different sizes to work with. Anyone have experience with that process that wants to give me any tips/tricks and/or advise what row I could start using it instead of the IT?
                              Just to throw a wrench into things....have you thought about using weights or bent metal clamps to hold bricks in place?

I used a simple method of Fishing hooks and bricks for weights to hold mine in place. Then when I got to the final three layers I built a round platform out of 2x4'and a round piece of plywood to create a floor for the last layers...I then used sand to form a dome shape to finish it.

Cut all of that out after I was done. You have to make sure it will all fit out the front door?

Finally if you use the sand method or the ball, You will learn that you can't see how well the bricks line up. You simply can't see how well they fit. It will definitely make those rows messier.

Just a few thoughts for you.
                              Darin I often cook with wine, sometimes I even add it to the food... WC Fields Link to my build http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/4...-ca-20497.html My Picasa Pics https://picasaweb.google.com/1121076...eat=directlink

Comment

Hello Paul

I used the IT tool to the last chain and then had to unscrew it from the base to get it out. I used sticks to hold the bricks in place while they set from about chain 8 or 9. As soon as they started to slide when I removed the IT tool.
                                That way you can clean up the joints and make sure they look good.

Like a lot of things on the build there are a lot of ways of doing the same job.

David

Comment

Working...
                                X