Arch crack

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Arch crack

The weather turned cold before I could get a buttress on my arch so I used 2 cinder Crete blocks held in with a shelf bracket bolted into the concrete slab that my oven sits on.

The crack in the arch was there before but after my last cook it expanded really quickly. How can I fix this without redoing my arch? The crack goes right through and I see light when looking from the entrance. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20150512_181344.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	763.0 KB
ID:	321523

Re: Arch crack

Can you remove the offending brick and re-set it? The arch may have found it's happy place and future cracks would be minimal ( if any ). Or is this just one of many in the arch?
    Check out my pictures here:
    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/les-build-4207.html

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.

Comment

Les this is the only major crack, the rest seems to be doing alright.

What would be the easiest way to reset the brick? The crack is where the arch meets the side walls. Should I remove the top bricks while propping the arch up and then reset those bricks? Would more photos help?

Comment

I would just remove the one brick. Clean the mortar off with an angle grinder and re-set it.

Comment

Originally posted by Les View Post
          I would just remove the one brick. Clean the mortar off with an angle grinder and re-set it.
          Les which brick are you referring to? Just want to make sure that I remove the appropriate brick

Comment

Originally posted by thebigt View Post
            Les which brick are you referring to? Just want to make sure that I remove the appropriate brick
            Looking closer, I think you have three that are floating.

Comment

Originally posted by Les View Post
              Looking closer, I think you have three that are floating.
              Ok so the top bricks on the support wall? In order to do that I assume that I should prop up the arch in order to remove and redo those bricks? Would it be best to build my buttress support wall before doing this or is it imminent that this will fall down?

Comment

Just want to make sure that I have a good understanding of your advice before proceeding.

Comment

Originally posted by thebigt View Post
                  Ok so the top bricks on the support wall? In order to do that I assume that I should prop up the arch in order to remove and redo those bricks? Would it be best to build my buttress support wall before doing this or is it imminent that this will fall down?
                  Support would be a safe thing to do, can't tell from the pic but I am assuming you have the vent in place ( and all it's weight ). As I mentioned earlier, everything probably found it's happy place. Are the brick joints on the side compromised at all? You may want to beef that up as well at this time if it is in your plans

Comment

Working...
                  X