Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Firebrick composition-what's good and bad?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Firebrick composition-what's good and bad?

I've been looking at firebricks and have found a few options with differing alumina/silica content. The closest I've found so far has 33% alumina and 63% silica (with ferric oxide, titania and accessory oxides all about 1.5%).
    Is this too much silica or won't it make much difference?
    The suppliers class this as a high duty firebrick - their low duty has about 23% alumina/73% silica. Which is more important to have the higher content??

Re: Firebrick composition-what's good and bad?

The reason the plans advise against high duty brick is cost and the fact that some high duty bricks are insulating bricks - poor thermal mass. I don't know whether the chemical composition matters as much to this as the method of construction. The weight of the brick helps to assess this - heavier bricks are generally better. Can you obtain the low duty bricks from this supplier? That would probably be ideal.

Comment

It sounds like the bricks you have found are perfect. 30-odd% is just what you are looking for.

We only recommended against high duty firebricks because they are very high in alumina (I don't remember the exact figure, but I think it is something like 60%), and could get too hot when you have a big fire, and then give up heat too fast once the fire was out and you wanted to cook with retained heat. A few % +/- isn't a big deal.
      Go for it.
      James
      Pizza Ovens
      Outdoor Fireplaces

Comment

Same supplier can do low/medium/high bricks. Thks for the info. The manual labor side of the project doesn't worry me but some of the technical aspects can get me a bit confused.

Comment

Working...
        X