Gathering Supplies for 42" Pompeii Oven

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gathering Supplies for 42" Pompeii Oven

I have been reading, reading, and then reading some more on how to build an Pompeii style oven. I've been studying photographs of dozens of the builds from members here.
    I am hoping to have a little knowledge by the time I am ready to build mine later this year. (I'm hoping for September time frame!)

I have a 10" HF wet saw, (An extra water pump, and 3 10" diamond blades.) 14" chop saw, ( With several cut off wheels, and a 14" diamond blade. And set it up with a water pump, Very little water but water none the less. Have to be careful with water and these saws.) 2 4 1/2" and 1 9" grinder, (Lots of grinding wheels, and a 7" diamond cup wheel.)

I made the indispensable tool from ideas I got here. I did make it a little different. I used a turn buckle on each end. This allows changing out the all-thread in the middle, to give a radius as short as 12" with a 4" all-thread (2" inside each turn buckle!) up to whatever I may need. (24" all-thread gives a maximum radius of 38")

Re: Gathering Supplies for 42" Pompeii Oven

I have also purchased the FB Insulating Board, and FB Insulating Blanket.
    I have 2 - 90# bags of Lime, 250# fire clay, 300# play sand, (Hoping it is fine enough, as to not needing to sieve it.) 1 ton regular sand, 1 ton gravel, 1 ton crushed stone, 10 94# bags Portland cement, 20 cu. ft. Perlite, 8 cu. ft. Vermiculite, 12 10' pieces 1/2" re-bar, 2 - 2" x 2" x 48"stainless steel angle iron, 120 - 8" x 8" x 16" concrete block, and several hundred fire brick ranging from 5" x 1 1/2" x 7" up to 24" x 36" x 2" (If need be I will purchase fire brick of a consistent size.)

I am still in the planning stage, and will continue reading, and hopefully learning over the next few months.
    I have layed block, but never brick. However about a million years ago I was a brick tender for a summer during my College years. (Talk about earning my money, that was long hours and hard work!)
    Last edited by mlucas; 05-19-2015, 07:45 PM.

Comment

Wow looks like you have got a pretty good start on finding your supplies. How big of a stand are building or are you doing a full outdoor kitchen? 120 cement blocks seams like a lot. Maby I am wrong. You also will need more rebar I used 28 10' rebar for my slab and base. I also have the harbor freight saw. It works great. One tip that I was given that I will pass along is to put the pump in to a 5 gal bucket. That way it will not get a build up of slurry. Works great. Good luck and as you firm up your plan I am sure lots of people will chime in and Gide you in the right direction.

Randy

Comment

Looks like you are ready to start! What are you waiting for? First thing is the base so lets go! Gather supplies as you build the base, that's what I did.
        Best Regards...
        Gugahulk!

My Build...

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f6/w...-fl-21793.html

BUILD IT AND THEY WILL COME
        Food will always be the best way to spend time with family & friends, and that is all that really matters.
        STOP THINKING ABOUT IT AND DO IT!

Comment

Originally posted by mlucas View Post

I am still in the planning stage, and will continue reading, and hopefully learning over the next few months.
          That's a good approach. There lots and lots of great and inspiring builds on here to learn from.
          My Build:
          http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/s...ina-20363.html

"Believe that you can and you're halfway there".

Comment

Wow, you're really preparing! I did a few months of craigslist searching to get the insulation board and chimney. Saved quite a bit of $$$, but you seem to be ready to go!

My only thought...the play sand will probably not be fine enough. I know the play sand from the local hardware store is not consistent enough and has pieces to large for mix in mortar. I picked up a sand from Menards that is used for mortar mixes, etc., and is super fine and very consistent. If you're using it for slabs, that should be fine. If you're going to make a home brew mortar for the oven, I don't think that would be the best idea.
            George

See my build thread here.

See my build album here.

Comment

No matter how prepared one thinks they are. Somethings are out of our hands. In August I broke my arm and tore my biceps in my right arm, and could not use my arm for 4 weeks, , then a couple weeks ago I had Shoulder replacement surgury on my right shoulder. So, I am done until at least March! It sucks getting old and brittle.
              May be I'll get my oven built one of these days!

Comment

I am sure you will get it built. It took me 7 years of dreaming and planning to get started on mine. Also if you are retired you have as much time as you would like to put in to the project. And who cares how fast you get it done. It is all about having fun and enjoying your build. I hope you get better soon.

Randy

Comment

Yes, you will complete the oven. I'm sure of it. Determination is hard to stop. I hate that you have had this setback with your health. But, take the time that it takes to heal and use it to plan. You will then be able to hit the ground running come spring!
                  Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

I am sure you will mend well and get back to the oven. Now you can mentally work out all the details on the oven so when Spring comes around you will hit the ground with both feet runnin...........
                    Russell
                    Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

To use an old baseball analogy, building an oven is a marathon, not a sprint. I'm at about mile 10 myself . Sorry to hear you are rehabbing, but probably not a better time than winter, as when spring comes you will be on the mend and ready to get to work. Since you will be coming off injury, you might want to make sure you have some help for the heavy lifting. Packing around some 80lb bags of sand, concrete, etc can be hard enough, and you don't want to re-injure yourself.
                      My build thread
                      https://community.fornobravo.com/for...h-corner-build

Comment

Originally posted by mlucas View Post
                        I have been reading, reading, and then reading some more on how to build an Pompeii style oven. I've been studying photographs of dozens of the builds from members here.
                        I am hoping to have a little knowledge by the time I am ready to build mine later this year. (I'm hoping for September time frame!)

I have a 10" HF wet saw, (An extra water pump, and 3 10" diamond blades.) 14" chop saw, ( With several cut off wheels, and a 14" diamond blade. And set it up with a water pump, Very little water but water none the less. Have to be careful with water and these saws.) 2 4 1/2" and 1 9" grinder, (Lots of grinding wheels, and a 7" diamond cup wheel.)

I made the indispensable tool from ideas I got here. I did make it a little different. I used a turn buckle on each end. This allows changing out the all-thread in the middle, to give a radius as short as 12" with a 4" all-thread (2" inside each turn buckle!) up to whatever I may need. (24" all-thread gives a maximum radius of 38")

New Camera!
                        My build documentary page:
                        https://picasaweb.google.com/1011587...iredOvenBuild#

Avoid at all costs that vile spew you see rotting in oil in screwtop jars. Too lazy to peel fresh? You don't deserve to eat garlic." Bourdain

Comment

Working...
                        X