30" Pompeii in Minneapolis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 30" Pompeii in Minneapolis

I've been posting under brick oven photos, but as the construction of the actual oven is closing in, I thought I'd get a thread going here in the construction forum.

My original thread is here.

Here is my question. I am currently planning slab dimensions that the oven will sit on. Am trying to increase the size of my oven by 2" (30" to 32"). I have been planning 3" of blanket insulation. Am doing igloo so won't have any other insulation. Is 2" of 8# density thermal blanket enough and just keep the size of my slab the same, or do I need to go ahead with 3" of blanket and increase the size of my slab?
    George

See my build thread here.

See my build album here.

Re: 30" Pompeii in Minneapolis

The more insulation the better. Since you are building on top of your structure, I would just build the top slab a bit bigger to accomodate. So 32 in dome, with 4 inch bricks and 3 inches of insulation and 1-2 inches of outer layer vermicrete? If you go with 1in there it will be:
    32 + 8 + 6 + 2 or 48 inches wide
    Does that sound right?
    Darin I often cook with wine, sometimes I even add it to the food... WC Fields Link to my build http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/4...-ca-20497.html My Picasa Pics https://picasaweb.google.com/1121076...eat=directlink

Comment

It is not difficult to have the top slab larger than the supporting stand. A little overhang will be fine.
      A simple 2x4 around the perimeter as a form will do.

This may cause a change in the way you were going to finish the stand so keep that in mind.

Are you sure you want an igloo here in Minnesota?

Are you planning some type of gazebo over the whole thing?
      Chip

Comment

Chip, thanks for the help. I already had some overhang, so I think I'll just make it a bit bigger and stick with the plan to do 3" of insulation.

I chose to build an igloo because I prefer its appearance. I plan to finish it off with stucco. Am I going to definitely run into problems with that plan? My yard is small and I'm trying to make this as low-profile as possible. Any suggestions?
        George

See my build album here.

Comment

And I also planned to use a cover in the cold months, like the ones FB sells for their small igloo ovens. From what I've read, if I keep water/snow from sitting on the stucco, I should be OK. I'd love any suggestions and recommendations.
          George

See my build album here.

Comment

Originally posted by mrchipster View Post
            It is not difficult to have the top slab larger than the supporting stand. A little overhang will be fine.
            A simple 2x4 around the perimeter as a form will do.

This may cause a change in the way you were going to finish the stand so keep that mind
            Cantilevering the supporting slab over the stand works much better IMO because the weight of the oven is well inboard of the perimeter. This means a reduced span for the supporting slab allowing a thinner and lighter supporting slab. You won't need as much material in the stand as well, this reduces overall weight and labour. It also means less weather striking the stand which means less water wicking up from the bottom. You should consider a barrier somewhere to prevent this anyway.I think a cantilevered stand looks better too. It makes the oven look less bottom heavy.
            Last edited by david s; 05-29-2015, 12:26 PM.
            Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Maybe I should build a 36" oven. That would put my total oven width at 53" (36+9+6+2, oven, bricks, insulation, stucco). Stand with stone veneer will be 49" wide. If I make the slab 2" wider than the oven on each side, that would make the slab 57", only 8" wider than the stand, leaving 4" on each side cantilevered. What do you all think?
              George

See my build album here.

Comment

Originally posted by gastagg View Post
                Maybe I should build a 36" oven. That would put my total oven width at 53" (36+9+6+2, oven, bricks, insulation, stucco). Stand with stone veneer will be 49" wide. If I make the slab 2" wider than the oven on each side, that would make the slab 57", only 8" wider than the stand, leaving 4" on each side cantilevered. What do you all think?
                From what I gather you have already built the stand and are just sizing the oven and oven slab.

What are the current outer dimensions of your stand. The reason I ask is what about making the oven base slab round and have the oven not appear to have a real base other than the stand.

No pooling of water on the main slab because it would be completely under the render and or tile layer to the oven surround.

You could make up additional inches to get over the corners of the base stand by adding more insulation in the form of perlcrete. and that is not a bad thing.
                Last edited by mrchipster; 05-29-2015, 03:48 PM.
                Chip

Comment

Taking that one step further, and include sort of a brick ledge for the entry, would eliminate the rest of the pooling concerns .
                  Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

Here is my current progress. Just the stand. No slab yet.

Current outer dimensions of the stand is 45" width, 50" from front center to rear.

I like the idea...I can easily get over the base stand at this point. At 30" with a 2" veneer on stand, I'm just about even (49" stand, 48" oven).

So, if I increase to 36", I would be at 54" oven width over a 49" stand leaving 2 1/2" overhang over the stand.

How does that look with a stand smaller than the oven? Think that would look OK?

Thanks for the ideas. I'm going to work on some sketches tonight...I've got the front corners of the stand to work with that were extended because of the landing. There's a build in SoCal that I saw with a similar stand...going to see what he did with the front. But I like the idea of no lip on the edges of the dome.
                    George

See my build album here.

Comment

Here is the SoCal build I was referring to. Almost the same plan.

Thanks for the sketch too Chip. Helpful.
                      George

See my build album here.

Comment

Here's the pic.
                        George

See my build album here.

Comment

I think that sounds like a great idea. I think it will end up looking very nice with the little over hang. I also think you will be very happy with the bigger size oven. I cant wait to see your progress.

Randy

Comment

I have a 42 inch oven and although you may not need something that big...I love it. I am glad I went big enough that I don't need anything larger. You will do the same by going a bit larger and you will be glad you did.

Good luck.
                            Darin I often cook with wine, sometimes I even add it to the food... WC Fields Link to my build http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/4...-ca-20497.html My Picasa Pics https://picasaweb.google.com/1121076...eat=directlink

Comment

I'm just about done with the formwork for the slab. Pouring tomorrow hopefully in the window between rainfalls. I talked to my architect brother extensively about the stucco finish and transition. He recommended that I keep an overhang, but to make sure that I slope the concrete so that there is no pooling water coming off the stucco. So, I've got some careful work to do in finishing off the slab. I think I'm going to be somewhere around 33"-34"...will see where the final slab dimensions come out to be.
                              George

See my build album here.

Comment

Working...
                              X