• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 30" Pompeii in Minneapolis

Good luck with the pour today.
    Chip

Comment

The pour went off without a hitch today. No blowouts. Didn't run out of color or mix. Am making the slab black to match the house trim...will color the stucco too. Here are the pics. Thanks for the support guys. I'm looking forward to start building the dome!
      George

See my build thread here.

See my build album here.

Comment

And it looks like I'm going to be able to build a 34" oven, which is 4" larger than originally planned.
        George

See my build album here.

Comment

Lookin good there. I am glad that it all went well. It feels good to have that step done. I also think you will be very happy you moved up in size a little. It just opens up more options as to what you can do with the oven.

Randy

Comment

That looks great. As JCG31 says.... It's time to go vertical!
            Chip

Comment

Exciting.....and you did a great job. You are making quick progress. Now the fun begins
              Darin I often cook with wine, sometimes I even add it to the food... WC Fields Link to my build http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/4...-ca-20497.html My Picasa Pics https://picasaweb.google.com/1121076...eat=directlink

Comment

Very nice! I love the plan. Looks good and keep the updates coming!

Comment

Thankfully, I am ready to actually start building the oven! I've had it with concrete forms for a while. Here is the stand (minus the stone veneer...that goes on last). Picked up the bricks today along with my fire clay for the home brew. Chip provided a very helpful overview on the phone yesterday! Thanks Chip!
                  Last edited by gastagg; 06-09-2015, 07:29 PM.
                  George

See my build album here.

Comment

Looks like you are ready to get going. Your stand looks great. What are you using for the sand. I got the quick Crete commercial fine sand. Worked great. It is kinda like fine sugar. So no little pebbles in your mix. Good luck.

Randy

Comment

You are off to a great start. The base looks the business. Will follow with interest.
                      Cheers ......... Steve

Build Thread http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f3/n...erg-19151.html

Build Pics http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...1&l=1626b3f4f4

Forno Food Pics https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...1&l=1d5ce2a275

Comment

Got the saw put together today, the floor insulation cut out, the floor pieced in and the first course around the floor. I did put a piece of cardboard between the floor bricks and the first course.
                        George

See my build album here.

Comment

Looks like you did a great job on the cutting. It is not as hard as it looks at first. What saw did you end up with? And what blade are you useing?

Randy

Comment

No heat break?
                            Chip

Comment

Good point Chip I had not noticed that. Easy to do at this point but not much longer.

Randy

Comment

OK, I was wondering if I should put a thermal break in the floor and saw pictures both ways. How do I do that at this point with the floor? I've got my location set for the reveal blocks. Do I just cut everything back to the front of the reveal? Any pics? As you can see, it's still sitting on my saw horses...nothing is permanent yet

I was looking at renting but since I'm going to need for a while, I thought I would try buying a saw and then sell it when I'm done. I ended up getting the DeWalt 2400 10" saw. It's a popular job-site saw and the reviews were good, so I thought if I could sell for $100-$200 less than what I paid, that would work well. Actually have a friend interested in buying it. It has a decent diamond-blade that is going through these bricks quite well. I was surprised.
                                George

See my build album here.

Comment

Working...
                                X