Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 30" Pompeii in Minneapolis

Originally posted by mrchipster View Post
    The inner arch bricks appear to be mortared to the dome bricks but from your photos do not appear as if they are inside the dome bricks. If they would be inside of the dome then they would receive a buttress effect but if they are just mortared to the outside they are not getting any significant support from the dome.
    Post #33, picture #3 shows what I have. The 1&3 course has the arch brick as a part of the dome (as shown on course 1). The 2&4 course has dome bricks on top of this arch brick. So the arch is built into the dome wall. From the outside joints, it seems that they are just mortared to the outside, but they extend into the dome. At least that's what it seems to me. Am I correct?

An inward reaching inner arch benefits from an easier connection to the dome and a reduction in the teardrop effect. It is not critical but just makes bricking over the entry easier.
    Ok, I want an inward reaching inner arch. That's been my plan. Cut the arch bricks first then, right?
    George

See my build thread here.

See my build album here.

Comment

If you don't bring your arch bricks in you will end up like me with a tear drop in the dome. It can be fixed but it is not the intended outcome. But no one will ever know the difference.

Randy

Comment

Originally posted by gastagg View Post
        Ok, I want an inward reaching inner arch. That's been my plan. Cut the arch bricks first then, right?
        I'm not sure I follow what you guys are talking about, "inward reaching arches". If you do that, won't the front be out of plumb? If so, how does your door fit tight against it later? Or are you cutting the bricks longer to make it "lean in"? I think it's more important to have your arch be plumb in the front or you'll regret it later. I might just be misunderstanding what you are referring to (?) I didn't lean mine in, nor do I have much of a "teardrop" shape. The last couple of bricks that tied into the arch, the IT did not quite reach them, so I set them to tie into the arch and did not worry about the IT reaching them, but it was a very little bit, perhaps a quarter inch, not anywhere near enough to cause a "teardrop" shape. Not being there, it's hard for me to understand how you got to this point. I guess my main point is that regardless of how you do it, just be sure that the front, where the door will abut, be sure it's nice and plumb and on a flat plane, or your door will not fit tight later. In my opinion, that is very important. Best of luck to you w/your build.
        Last edited by NCMan; 06-29-2015, 05:31 AM.
        My Build:
        http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/s...ina-20363.html

"Believe that you can and you're halfway there".

Comment

Sorry I missed that from your prior photos. I see you laced in your inner arch nicely. I think you are good to go. Call if you would like help with the inner reaching arch. It looks like it might rain several times this week so potential for minimal progress. I would be able to stop by sometime this week to help, if you would like.
          Chip

Comment

Originally posted by NCMan View Post
            I'm not sure I follow what you guys are talking about, "inward reaching arches". If you do that, won't the front be out of plumb? If so, how does your door fit tight against it later? I think it's more important to have your arch be plumb in the front or you'll regret it later. I might just be misunderstanding what you are referring to (?) I didn't lean mine in, nor do I have much of a "teardrop" shape. The last couple of bricks that tied into the arch, the IT did not quite reach them, so I set them to tie into the arch and did not worry about the IT reaching them, but it was a very little bit, perhaps a quarter inch, not anywhere near enough to cause a "teardrop" shape. Not being there, it's hard for me to understand how you got to this point. I guess my main point is that regardless of how you do it, just be sure that the front, where the door will abut, be sure it's nice and plumb. Best of luck to you w/your build.
            The arch only reaches inward on the inside of the dome, the outside (reveal) remains flush and perpendicular to the floor.

It is done by cutting each brick longer than the last. The outside face of the brick is the reveal, the opposite end receives two cuts. The lower cut follows the shape of the inside of the dome, and the upper cut receives the dome brick above it. The upper cut is done second and is defined by a vector from the center of the dome and the internal radius of the oven, taking into account the current height of the inner arch.
            Chip

Comment

Ncman all I was out by is like 3/8" and I had a very pronounced tear drop. It was not hard to fix but was also not done correctly.

Randy

Comment

The arch only reaches inward on the inside of the dome, the outside (reveal) remains flush and perpendicular to the floor.

It is done by cutting each brick longer than the last. The outside face of the brick is the reveal, the opposite end receives two cuts. The lower cut follows the shape of the inside of the dome, and the upper cut receives the dome brick above it. The upper cut is done second and is defined by a vector from the center of the dome and the internal radius of the oven, taking into account the current height of the inner arch.
                That's what I figured. For whatever reason, I didn't have to deal w/all that. But, every oven is built differently, by different people, using different methods. The food won't mind.
                My Build:

Comment

Originally posted by RandyJ View Post
                  If you don't bring your arch bricks in you will end up like me with a tear drop in the dome. It can be fixed but it is not the intended outcome. But no one will ever know the difference.

Randy
                  Randy, you know that if you stick any part of your body that far into a hot oven it will qualify as food!
                  Chip

Comment

Originally posted by RandyJ View Post
                    Ncman all I was out by is like 3/8" and I had a very pronounced tear drop. It was not hard to fix but was also not done correctly.

Randy
                    Well if you fixed it, it wasn't hard to do, it's now done correctly, and you're happy, then you should be good to go then.
                    My Build:

Comment

Chip you are right that any limb stuck in the oven will cook almost instantly. So best to were protection or better yet long handel tools

Ncman I never said there was any structural issues with my dome. It just is not as pretty to look at from the inside. Otherwise it is a non issue. That is the only problem, and a pretty small one at that as you can't see the front of the dome.

Randy

Comment

Well, I got more work done today than I thought I would, and I think that I've got the arch brick/dome intersection figured out. Mr Chipsters photos were helpful.

This is tedious work. I had no idea how long it would take to get a course of bricks done. Anyway, getting closer.
                        George

See my build album here.

Comment

Gastagg you are looking great. You are almost done with the hard part of the dome. It is pretty smooth sailing after you clear the top of the arch. Keep up the good work and you will be done with the dome soon.

Randy

Comment

Thanks for the encouragement Randy! Looking forward to seeing your oven in person!
                            George

See my build album here.

Comment

Another course on today...

Looks like a couple more courses to get past the arch. That will be a good day.
                              George

See my build album here.

Comment

Looking great. You will be past the arch in no time.

Randy

Comment

Working...
                                X