No announcement yet.

30" Pompeii in Minneapolis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think I'll be done with the dome this weekend...
    George

See my build thread here.

See my build album here.

Comment

That's looking great! Your staying on bond, nicely. And, I see that you are setting an anchor brick for the next row. Keep that up and you wont need a platform or sand mold .
      Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

Thanks! Well, efforts to start a new row without a solid anchor brick have proved to be futile. At that angle, the bricks just fall down.
        George

See my build album here.

Comment

I is looking great. I maby should have done the anchor brick but I did not. I just qwick slapped up the first 3 bricks and it held and went from there. I think I was just lucky that none fell down. Keep up the good work and you will be done soon.

Randy

Comment

I found that sticks helped to hold the later chains in place as the mortar set up.

David

Comment

That's a good idea, because I'd like to move a little quicker than it sets up at times. Randy...you got the job done! How are the fires/cooking going?
              George

See my build album here.

Comment

One more course done today...just one more to go before capping it...ready for tomorrow with the anchor brick
                George

See my build album here.

Comment

Am I going to have a problem here? See pic. I've got three courses with three joints that are real close to lining up.
                  George

See my build album here.

Comment

Forget about it. It will be just fine. You are going to get a crack or two somewhere, no matter how good the bond is. The cracks may or may not be related to those three joints.
                    Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

• Thanks Gulf...good to hear.
                      George

See my build album here.

Comment

• Just capped the dome. Time for a beer!
                        George

See my build album here.

Comment

• Congratulations. It's a great! feeling ain't it. That is an excellent job. Have another one, you deserve it .

Comment

• Thanks Gulf! It's does feel good. I didn't think it would take that long...it really bogged down at courses 4-6. This forum and the people on it have been critical for me to get to this point and keep pressing on. Am ready to finish this off over the next few weeks and see if we can't get some pizzas by late September.
                            George

See my build album here.

Comment

• Congratulations on capping the dome. It looks great. I would think that it should be on problem to make pizza by end of September. I like your beer picture. I have a bottle of Fulton Worthy Adversary I am saving till I finally finish mine seams like the appropriate title. Once again great job it looks great can't wait to see it.

Randy

Comment

• You have a nice tidy oven , it will do well , my 36'' dome was a real mess at the top .. but 6 years later with weekly firings not a single problem .. wel , l the initial pizza out had a chunk of mortar sitting in it !
                                follow the advice here and go slow with your initial heats !

Comment

Working...
                                X