28" Cast Oven Build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 28" Cast Oven Build

Hi everyone just wanted to share my build so far. Took me around 4 weeks from start to finish.

Base was constructed from concrete landscape wall blocks that when put together form a circular shape. I used around 80 blocks glued together with P&L polyurethane glue. It has a total of 11 layers. The first 9 create a circle with a 36" diameter and the last 2 top layers were held out 1.5" creating a top ring with a 40" diameter and a lip inside to pour a concrete layer before moving forward with the oven floor. The top layer of rock all have tapcon screws drilled in side which stick into the concrete ensuring they never move. I left specific blocks out to create the opening below for wood storage.

Once this was complete I cut a piece of dura rock board and fit that in bottom against lip. I then poured a 2" layer of high strength concrete with rebar inside. This gave 6" remaining inches of space within the top 2 layers which was filled with 6" of 5:1 perlite concrete to bring everything even with top of the top block layer. I added 1/8-1/4" layer of mason sand on top to allow firebrick to site even with each other. I used red medium duty firebrick in a herringbone pattern. In order to create an entrance I was able to get a piece of granite which can be seen in the pictures. This was secured with P&L polyurethane glue and high heat mortar.

I then created a mold for 6" walls around the dome 2" thick. I added 2" of perlite 5:1 in mold first to ensure dome walls made no contact with concrete base in any way. I poured Heat Cast40 castable refractory mortar into the mold. Once dry I removed only the inside form and the filled the entire oven with mason sand to create the dome. I poured the remaining castable refractory on top of the sand mold. It took a total of 320lbs of heat cast with 10lbs of stainless fibers for added strength. The oven has a 28" inside diameter which will be perfect for 10" pizza at home. The dome height is 15" with a 9.45" door height.

Once this was complete I removed the sand and sealed seam between dome and walls with high heat mortar. I decided to use a 24" clay flue with inside diameter of 6". To avoid cracking from expansion and contraction I first wrapped entire flue with 1" ceramic blanket from FB. This was followed by chicken wire and stainless wire. I placed it on top of oven and secured with high heat mortar. I made sure mortar was only between the ceramic blanket and dome. This will hopefully allow and expansion to be absorbed by blanket.

I covered the entire dome with 2 layers of 1" ceramic blanket. I chose 1" because this allows seams to be covered by second layer. The top of the dome has 3 layers to help with shape and insulation. I secured this with chicken wire and stainless wire.

I then covered the dome with 1/2" of polymer based scratch coat. Followed by 1/8-1/4" final stucco color coat.

I will add pictures below.
    Last edited by Joesmoe45; 06-14-2015, 06:23 AM.

Re: 28" Cast Oven Build

pictures 1

Comment

pictures 2

Comment

pictures 3

Comment

pictures 4

Comment

pictures 5

Comment

pictures 6

Comment

pictures 7

Comment

This is what I have done to date. Will add a final pic with color coat.

Comment

Very 'neat' build; most progress pictures look like Armageddon but yours are almost clinical; great attention to detail with a fantastic end product.
                    Build thread: http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f6/m...sts-20752.html

Comment

Looks great, and I agree you kept your work area very clean while building.

I do have one concern and that is it appears that the granite is within the heat zone of the oven. You may experience some spalling of the granite when exposed to full heat.
                      Chip

Comment

Yes had to keep it clean as it is next to our finished patio area.

Will have to hope for the best with the granite.

Here is a picture of the finished product. Will post how firing goes.

Comment

I really like the build. The stand is very interesting.
                          Chip

Comment

Its been just over a year and absolutely love the oven. Heats up in about an hour and 15 minutes. No issues to date with the granite.

Comment

8 years later and oven still looks/cooks like day 1.

Comment

Working...
                              X