Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

is it bad for FB fiber board to get wet?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• is it bad for FB fiber board to get wet?

I just got my FB board cut to shape, installed, and got my oven floor done.
    But I remember reading somewhere that someone's cal. sil. board got wet and was unsure if it was salvageable (!). So is my "lil project" now very weather sensitive until I get the final exterior weather proof coat finished (which, sadly, will probably quite some time in the future)?

In my area we don't get much rain, but still there's the possiblity of some, and some morning marine-layer moisture that is common.

Up until now this project has been very weather friendly - block, concrete, bricks, not much to worry about. Should I worry now?

Thanks,
    John.

Re: is it bad for FB fiber board to get wet?

I don't know just how sensitive it is to water, but you don't want it any wetter than it has to be. I wrapped mine in a tarp when I was not working on it. I would think the fog would not hurt anything, but if it gets rained on then your curing process will take a lot longer. That is my thoughts.

Randy

Comment

Re: is it bad for FB fiber board to get wet?

Hi Johnny,

Correct me if I`m wrong, but it sounds to me that your oven is not finished,right. If you so or otherwise you have no worried. During the curing process the insulation will dry, wetness does not effect the integrity of your boards, if they are soaked it will take a long time to dry, which will lower the efficiency of the oven. We are now in typhoon season and there no way around my hearth not getting soaked. Finish your oven and cook something, as a matter of fact it doesn`t have to be finished to cook in, just don`t start out with pizza!

Comment

Working...
      X