Oven floor gaps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oven floor gaps

I laid my floor last week and while I tried my best to get the bricks as close as possible, I do have some gaps between a few of the bricks that in a couple spots appears to be about 1/8th of an inch. Besides ripping it up and seeing if the seconds attempt will be better than the first, is there anything that I can use to fill these or over time just let ashes and "pizza matter" fill the few gaps.
    Any thoughts or ideas would be appreciated.

Re: Oven floor gaps

TH,

Buy the thinnest pointing trowel you can find at Home Cheapo. Mix up a small batch of whatever mortar you are using. Keep it fairly dry to avoid staining the brick. If it's too runny, let it sit in the sun for about an hour to set up. Put a load of it on your brick trowel. Using the pointing trowel, push the mortar into the gaps, pressing firmly and making sure the gaps are completely full, all the way to the bottom of the brick. Make the mortar flush to the top of the brick, even a bit proud is okay. Don't worry about crumbs around the joints. Leave them to dry, don't brush off while wet. Depending on weather, after about an hour, finish point the joints until smooth and shiny (you're drawing water to the surface by rubbing the joints with your trowel). Let set a bit more, then brush the joints and surface clean. Will work.

Jim
    "Made are tools, and born are hands"--William Blake, 1757-1827

Comment

Working...
    X