Oven / Smoker Combo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oven / Smoker Combo

I am wanting to build both a brick smoker for Bar-b-que and a brick oven for some personal bread/pizza cooking. I believe I have decided on the Pompeii oven style because of size. This is just for family, and parties with friends.

My questions are:

Has anyone done this yet? Do any of you have any ideas on design?
    Does it need to be two seperate oven areas?

I like to cook down the wood before I use it to smoke, but it is not a necessity.

This is purely for personal/family use, so it does not have to be HUGE. I am hoping for a outer dimension of 4'x4'

thanks,

Don

Don, are you wanting to combine a smoker above your oven, using the oven as your smoker firebox?

I too toyed with this idea but never really refined it to the point that I felt it practical. I would love to see your ideas.

On this sight under ' Pompeii Oven Construction' you will see some photos of an outdoor kitchen I completed with an Allen Scott design Oven and a Smoker next to it. The smoker is my design and utilizes vermiculite insulation around the bricks of the smoker to aid in heat retention. This has proven to be a very efficient deasign.

I also designed in a three layer baffle system consisting of angle iron and brick so that the heat could be evenly distributed to the cooking layer.

The wood consumption of my design is 1/4th of a anything comparable.

I see you are in Austin. I live in Dripping Springs. If you are interested, I could set up a time for you to come see the design . If you are interested?

K.O.

Comment

More, more

Keith and Don,

Can you get us more details on what you want to smoke and some basic principles of design and function. What you want to smoke, how hot, how long, etc. I would like to learn more.

James
      Pizza Ovens
      Outdoor Fireplaces

Comment

Most Smokers are built for cooking Briskets, Ribs, Chicken etc... . Smokin' meat in Texas means low heat (180*- 250*) . Obviously the lower the heat the longer the cook time ( Some up to 18 hrs). I can generaly create a very juicy and tender Brisket in 6-8 hrs at about 220* on average.

The low heat and long cooking times for Brisket are needed because of the toughness of the cut. And, the low heat aids in 'melting' the fat on the brisket so that it helps baste, moisterise and tenderise the brisket.

Brisket done correctly is hard to beat.

A smoker that delivers constant low heat can deliver the best results. And, even though it is called a 'Smoker', a lot of smoke is not always good. Too much smoke can ruin a Brisket.

The design I came up with delivers on all of the key requirements without the need to baby sit the smoker.

I will be building another smoker within the next 2 months and plan on doing a detailed step by step construction explanation and photo detail to share on this sight if that is okay?

K.O.

Comment

Originally posted by Keith Oertli
          I will be building another smoker within the next 2 months and plan on doing a detailed step by step construction explanation and photo detail to share on this sight if that is okay?
          Please do. I am currently attempting to design something similar for my backyard outdoor kitchen. Basing it off of experience instead of my own best guesses will be a real help

Tarik
          --
          Tarik

Comment

Tarik, I have yet to begin the Smoker I mentioned in the thread. How soon are you planning your construction?

If soon, I am willing to work with you of the construction details however neccesary.

Let me know.

K.O.

Comment

Originally posted by Keith Oertli
              Tarik, I have yet to begin the Smoker I mentioned in the thread. How soon are you planning your construction?

If soon, I am willing to work with you of the construction details however neccesary.

Let me know.
              Keith,

Sorry for the delay in responding. I'm in the process of finishing my foundation pour for my pizza oven (42" pompeii). The BBQ/smoker is intended to go right beside it against a 6' or so retaining wall, but I've held off pouring it's foundation until I've finished pondering the design enough (and have finished plumbing in my drain lines for a sink under the foundation pours).

My schedule is to be done in time to do some experimental cooking before Thanksgiving. Very flexible since most of my weekend time is spent working on projects in our fix-er-upper (current project, backyard/patio/landscaping).

Any info you have for me will be helpful. I was envisioning a large brick BBQ pit with a windlass raised and lowered grill that could accomodate a spit and a lid so that I could direct smoke into a brick chambered tower built into counter beside the BBQ for smoking. But I am totally making this up right now with no background info.

Regards,

Tarik
              --
              Tarik

Comment

Working...
              X