X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• redbricknick
    replied
    Re: pompeii oven construction began today

Paulages is a badass. He is my friend on Myspace.. That is a good way to get in contact with him.. He's helped me out a couple of times through there. Let me know if you want a link to his myspace page, of a google search will pop it up too..

Leave a comment:

• jengineer
    replied

photos
    DSC01545
    DSC01548
    DSC01592
    DSC01616
    DSC01619
    DSC01632
    DSC01670
    DSC01697
    DSC01779
    DSC01781
    DSC01785
    DSC01794
    DSC01803
    DSC01809
    DSCN0156
    DSCN0455
    DSCN0459
    P6130164
    P6140197
    P6150207

can be made available but it would take James to break into the original postings and re-link them

Leave a comment:

• dmun
    replied

Paulages was an influential early builder, I learned a lot from his postings. His images were externally hosted, and the links are dead. I looked at his photobucket page, and there are only a few images there.

Leave a comment:

• RCLake
    replied

This has been an interesting forum to read. However starting on page 2 and ending on page 6 the pictures don't appear. Any suggestions on how to see them?

Leave a comment:

• aikitarik
    replied
    Originally posted by paulages
    oh yeah, and the kid blowing fire? went to the hospital with 2nd degree burns.
    Just goes to show that while it's easy.. there are some basic precautions to learn before screwing around with blowing/eating fire.

I've singed a few eyebrows myself, using 151 and paraffin oil.

so maybe we're pyros, looking for an excuse to build raging fires in our backyards...but at least we do it responsibly!
    Oh yeah!

oh, by the way, here's my roof covered in soil, and planted with what should end up a thick stand of crimson clover and calendula. mediterranean herbs to come...
    Not that is truly beautiful!

Leave a comment:

• paulages
    replied
    i played a gig once, where the singer of another band decided it was a good idea to blow fire during their set in a room with 10' ceilings. he didn't really know what he was doing, and after a while of spilling PGA all over the floor, managed to drop his torch into the puddle sending an enormous fireball across the stage, singeing all of the hair off of his face. someone was really quick, and grabbing a fire extinguisher had it out in seconds...but not before the fire alarm began ringing. so 300 people tore out of the building in panic.

this was a house party kind of thing, in an industrial district. someone made a big announcement, "ok, when the fire department gets here, say IT WAS AN AMP THAT CAUGHT ON FIRE, AND WE PUT IT OUT." of course the first person they saw blurts out, "someone was breathing fire and they ignited the stage!" so we all assumed that that was it...the show would be shut down, and there would be cops and F.D. officials for some unlucky person to deal with. i was picturing something straight off of COPS the television show...a riot in the street with 300 punk rockers who just wanted to see some music, and some bored cops who just wanted to mess up somebody's night.

however, we were in canada. policemen there are very polite. so they leave, and 300 filed back in and the show went on.

oh yeah, and the kid blowing fire? went to the hospital with 2nd degree burns.

so maybe we're pyros, looking for an excuse to build raging fires in our backyards...but at least we do it responsibly!

oh, by the way, here's my roof covered in soil, and planted with what should end up a thick stand of crimson clover and calendula. mediterranean herbs to come...

Leave a comment:

• ColonelCorn76
    replied
    Originally posted by aikitarik
    Stick to 151 .. ..this is actually what I used when I was taught how to fire breath (and eat). You can also use a non-toxic oil, but it tastes nasty.
    I learned using Coleman Stove Fuel (naphtha). It's more reliable but you're right it tastes nasty. You don't learn fire breathing to attract women.

Jim

Leave a comment:

• aikitarik
    replied
    It's so much fun! I learned from a friend who's a professional magician.

It's really not that hard, but I warn you, I singed my eyebrows off learning (spraying INTO the wind, doh!) and I know people who have burned their mouths, although not worse than that slice of pizza right out of the oven!

Leave a comment:

• james
    replied
    Lighting your Oven -- creative new method

I see. I should move this thread to the lighting your oven section of the forum.

James
    Last edited by james; 11-19-2005, 01:28 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Robert Musa
    replied
    Originally posted by aikitarik
    ..this is actually what I used when I was taught how to fire breath (and eat).
    that would be an outstanding way to light the oven. if you ever do so, please post pictures.

Leave a comment:

• aikitarik
    replied
    Stick to 151 or similar and it's not so much abuse since you really don't want to drink that stuff..

..this is actually what I used when I was taught how to fire breath (and eat). You can also use a non-toxic oil, but it tastes nasty.

Leave a comment:

• paulages
    replied
    yes, that was certainly alcohol abuse. perhaps a better thrill-burn would be the mortgage bill, phone bill, (oven materials bill?), etc...

Leave a comment:

• Les
    replied
    That was awesome Robert - An abuse of alcohol, but amusing none the less.

Les...

Leave a comment:

• james
    replied
    The things we do for science

Too funny. I think it is admirable that you are willing to abuse your body just to forward the science of brick oven construction. Three cheers.

James

Leave a comment:

• Robert Musa
    replied
    perhaps the best multi-use function i have found yet for a giant stone structure in the backyard.
    nah... this right here is the best multi-use function (7 meg. mpg file)

Leave a comment:

Working...
X