Balty Knowles's Oven

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Balty Knowles's Oven

I'm starting this thread in the hope that Balty will grace us with more descriptions of his unparallelled oven building expertise.. It's a masterpiece of technical masonry, which i fear will get buried in the photos section if an easily accessible thread isn't started.. I know when i look at past threads, the ones where there are photos and descriptions all in one easy to locate place are the most helpful.. Amazing job Mr Knowles.. Your oven will undoubtedly inspire countless others to embark on the noble journey that is building a brick oven..

Re: Balty Knowles's Oven

Your right Nick. Balty's Build (has a nice ring to it) deserves its own thread with all off the pictures posted. As I have commented in the photo gallery several times - his build shows the ultimate attention to detail and precision of masonry. This man should be teaching oven building.

Balty's Build......coming to a theater near you.......

Comment

Thank-you guys. I figured the bet place to show project progress was in the photo gallery but it is a bit cumbersome when some one has a question.

RT, I think the quality of craftsmanship on your dome is very high & a much more consistent quality than mine. Consistency of quality is far more important than quality alone, it appears that you are quite comfortable with your masonry skills & I'm guessing you've had some training. Great Work

This is my first attempt at any type of masonry & frankly I think it shows, I did learn a few rooky mistakes though & if I make another oven I'll remember them.

I'm thinking of offering to build one for my church once the front yard is completed. If I can get other parishioners to cough up for materials, I can make a detailed photo chronicle then. Probably be after Christmas if it happens.

Rgds

Balty

Comment

Balty. I too hope to build another. I woulf like the chance to improve upon what I did and use what I have learned. I'm trying to talk one of my neighbors in to one. Of course, qualified helpers will be recruited, Nick are yours available for another build???

Comment

Balty,
          Let us know if you end up doing an oven for your church. FB will donate mortar or insulation (or something useful). In fact, if anybody wants to build an oven for a church, school or charity as a public service, let me know -- we would want to help out.
          James

Nick, making a brick oven video to meet girls does not count as a charity.
          Pizza Ovens
          Outdoor Fireplaces

Comment

So I'm thinking of building an oven for a foundation I'm starting for wayward cheerleaders.. I'll be needing sponsors for wine coolers, jello and trampolines..

Comment

RBN,

I will happily supply the jello, mud, olive oil, whatever it takes. Are you okay, or is this just a mid-life gig? JE has a honkin big piece of Canadian granite for your oven. Focus, man, focus. You could be in a worse spot, I guess .

Jim
              "Made are tools, and born are hands"--William Blake, 1757-1827

Comment

Sounds like Nick wants to recreate "The Man Show" to include WFO pizza. see what I can do on the trampolines....Two neighbors have them, don't think the kids ever used them. I'm all about worthy causes, wayward cheerleaders especially.

Comment

James, your presense is required on the forum as we boys are rapidly turning into The Lord of the Flies. Some unpent restlesness is astir. Something about BIG FIRES Trampolines and FOOD

Hey RBN I have just scored 4300 red clay brick for the landscaping. I will have enough brick for the oven stand. On Thurs I'm yanking them out of the dirt, Looking for some muscle bound youth for a road trip to San Clemente. Oh thats right your lot are the tall lankey curvy brutes.

The 1860 ish cobble stone was duly inspected by the TSA. The bag was under 50 lbs - I wonder what they said when they saw it. Yep another one of those passengers that was trying to get as close to the weight limit as possible. You know they are allowed 50 pounds each per bag and 2 bags per paying passenger. I sure hate my job.

Comment

I can offer you the use of my pressure washer JE, and if i can get my cement mixer fixed, you can borrow that brute too.. As far as moving thousands of bricks goes, you are on your own old boy.. I do know an ex marine, hippie filmmaker and an Argentinian guitar player who will toil for ten bucks an hour if you are interested.. My cell is 213 948 5353.. Yo C' JIM, im thirty one, hoping to delay my mid life crisis a decade or so..

Comment

wayward cheerleaders...that reminds me of an old Steve Martin line...

"I do a lot of work with unwed mothers...you know, just helping them get their start"

Drake
                      My Oven Thread:
                      http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/d...-oven-633.html

Comment

You would think Nick has more than he can handle with his laborers, now he is taking on charity work. What a guy

Comment

Working...
                        X