No space for Insulation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No space for Insulation

When I designed my base I was thinking 39" floor. After the base was finished I figured bigger is better & built a 42". Now it's time to face the consequences. The dome missed the center of the stand by an inch & at the narrowest point I only have 3" left for insulation, I've already reduced the thickness of the outside wall to a brick & a half & cant go any more.

Couple of questions

If I stuff more thermal blanket into the available space it will be compressed does anyone know if this will seriously reduce the insulative properties.

i.e. Am I better off with 2" of Insulfrax & 1" of vermiculite or with 4" of insulfrax stuffed into a 3" gap?

Re: No space for Insulation

The refractory blanket is about twice as good an insulator than the vermiculite/perlite concrete. If space is an issue, use the blanket.

Also, heat rises. A little extra insulation on top is more effective than on the side. Think about your house with the three-and-a-half insulation in the walls and the six inches in the attic. Same principle.

About compression: I found it's pretty dense stuff. It's not easy to squish like the pink fiberglass.
    My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

James also pointed out here recently that insulation at the top of the dome (greater thermal differential) is more important than at the base. Three inches of thermal blanket should be adequate at the base. You might add a little more on top (or loose fill over the blanket) for the more is better approach.

Comment

Dmun, Maver,

Agreed, he should go with the blanket; the R value will be much higher than cement/vermiculite. My oven has about four inches of insulation on the sides, but about six to seven on top.

Jim
        "Made are tools, and born are hands"--William Blake, 1757-1827

Comment

Thanks agian, much relief. I have plenty of space once I get higher than the soldier course at the base.

Rgds

Balty

Comment

Not to hijack your thread Balty, but I am running up on the same issue and looking for some advice. I have a 42" oven and only have a few inches of space as well. I have purchased 2 boxes of ceramic insulation and am wondering if I can get 3-4 inches around the oven if there is any need for any vermiculite/cement mixture over it or if 4 inches of ceramic is enough and I can just stucco on top of that.
            Any thoughts are appreciated.

Comment

Balty and Telehort,
              I skimped a little and only used a 1" thermal blanket instead of 2" and then put 3 x 1" layers of vermiculite cement over that and topped it off with a 3/4" waterproofing render on top,
              After drying out the dome and then 3 cook-ups with very hot fires, NO HEAT was felt what so ever at all on the top of the dome. That ha sproved to be ample insulation.
              Check out the pics at:
              http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f21/...-4-a-2045.html

Neill
              Last edited by nissanneill; 07-14-2007, 04:56 AM.
              Prevention is better than cure, - do it right the first time!

The more I learn, the more I realise how little I know

Neill’s Pompeiii #1
              http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/n...-1-a-2005.html
              Neill’s kitchen underway
              http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f35/...rway-4591.html

Comment

Thanks Neill,

Makes me feel more comfortable. I just order a bunch of Insulfrax should have enough for at least 3 layers with plenty spare to put extra on top.

Rgds

Balty

Comment

Working...
                X