Raising height of original plans

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Raising height of original plans

I have a deck that is approximately six feet high. I want to build my brick oven so that we can operate it from our deck which means that it would be approximately six feet higher than the original plan. How would i increase the height of the original without compromising the stability of the structure? Would I just add more blocks to the support base? HELP!!!

Re: Raising height of original plans

I'll let the construction pros weigh in here, but I think with twelve feet of masonry structure, you are going to need serious footings, more than a slab on a crushed stone bed. You'll have room for CORDS of wood in your wood storage area, though.
    My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

I'd put a floor in it near the height of the deck. Leave an opening on the most convenient side on the ground and you have instant storage house. Lawn mower in the bottom, wood in the top, oven capping the whole thing...

Drool!!!!

As to the construction question, I'll leave that to people who know what they're talking about.
      "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Success isn't permanent and failure isn't fatal." -Mike Ditka
      [/CENTER]

Comment

I'm agreeing with David here but my math tells me that you are going vertical less than 10 foot. With proper footings and plenty of steel in the cores, I don't think you will have a problem. They are building a structure down the road out of block and it's at least 30 foot high.

And as the others have noted, the storage is mind boggling. I'm worried about scrapping my chin, you will be able to jump into the thing.

Les...
        Check out my pictures here:
        http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/les-build-4207.html

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.

Comment

Originally posted by chef1703 View Post
          I have a deck that is approximately six feet high. I want to build my brick oven so that we can operate it from our deck which means that it would be approximately six feet higher than the original plan. How would i increase the height of the original without compromising the stability of the structure? Would I just add more blocks to the support base? HELP!!!
          Wow BIG build here..have you thought about a second location First and for most if this is gonna be permitted check with the building department as to code in your area regarding masonry. I can shower you with ideas but if they will not meet local requirements is pointless.
          In general its safe to assume you would need a good footing but nothing outrageous and vertical steel. If you were to make just a tall block box you could extend the deck into the base under the oven for storage and on the back side you could add a door at ground level for additional storage...TN whats the weather like there do you guys have the need for "safe rooms" you could actually use the bottom as a security vault of some sort.???Or if its into a hillside a wine cellar???
          Some preliminary questions:
          Winter frost depth?
          Soil Conditions?
          Drainage from under deck toward the oven site?
          You could also just put the oven on a metal frame like the ones available from FB on an extension of the deck in that area?? I'm thinking sister on to the floor joist out past the oven dimension and have a header rest on 4 metal posts in concrete with cross bracing..these are just right off the top of my head. If you could post pics of the site I'm sure it would help with other ideas.
          Last edited by Unofornaio; 07-05-2007, 07:08 PM. Reason: Cool new program...
          http://www.palmisanoconcrete.com

Comment

At that height, I would seriously think about mortaring the block rather than simply dry stacking. I would also consult a pro on what kind of footing you will need (this will depend greatly on soil condition and local weather).

It sounds like a pretty cool design - you will have plenty of storage!
            "You better cut the pizza in four pieces because I'm not hungry enough to eat six."

-- Yogi Berra

Forno Tito

Comment

Thanks, I will post some photos. I have a creative mind and am good with my hands but stome masonry is not my suit. Any advice is appreciated. I didn't even think about the storage aspect of it. That might make it an easier sell to my wife!

Comment

Working...
              X