Seismic considerations?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Seismic considerations?

I read a lot about frost heave and the impacts on oven building on this forum and others... but not much about seismic considerations. Here in Los Angeles we have occasional earthquakes. Does anyone know if there are additional building techniques to consider over and above those described in the Pompeii plans for those of us living on ground that shakes?

Re: Seismic considerations?

Well, one thing for certain is that you want to make sure that your hearth slab and insulation is tied to the stand. Here in Colorado, my hearth slab just rests on top of the stand.

Drake
    My Oven Thread:
    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/d...-oven-633.html

Comment

Brian

I am still killing off honey do's before I am allowed to make the oven. My dad is an Engineering Geologist with significant expertise in Thin Arch and earthen dams. Driving with him is always fun - hey look at that escarpment - wow what a fault.

Here is my plan for doing what Drake suggests in a round about manner. First of all I want to be able to remove the dome from the stand at some time time in the future. Yeah it will probably be chaeaper just to build another one. So I will use a mild steel pan in place of the concrete hearth. I will use the Super Isol in place of the vermiculite/cement mix. To tie the stand to the hearth I will use a modification of wht is done in house building. You can do this for both the traditional method of Pompeii building and for what I just described... In each of the 4 corners of the stand bury in 5/8 inch all thread. make sure it sticks up high enough for what ever method of hearth you are planning. Then drop in a washer and a nut and your hearth is tied in. Home Despot ... 5/8 In. x 14 In. Anchor Bolt With Nut And Washer

Model 818238156
      SKU 435039

5/8 In. anchor bolts, also known as foundation bolts, can be used to secure foundations for light and heavy construction. These high quality bolts are hot dipped galvanized to inhibit corrosion, and meet building codes for seismic zones 3 and 4. The 5/8 In. diameter is the minimum measurement necessary to meet building codes in seismic zones 3 and 4. The 2 x 2 In. square washers meet building codes for seismic zones 3 and 4.

* Also known as Foundation Bolts
      * Steel bolts used to secure foundations for light and heavy construction
      * Minimum diameter to meet building codes for seismic zones 3 and 4
      * 2 In. x 2 In. square washers required to meet building codes for seismic zones 3 and 4
      * Hot dipped galvalized to inhibit corrosion

Comment

Thanks for the information, folks. I, too, am working off the honey-do list... so I'll likely have a bit of time to think over construction details!

Comment

Working...
        X