36 inch pompeii cad layout

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 36 inch pompeii cad layout

In order to get my thinking wrapped around how this thing might be built, I have done some drawings of the 36 inch dome. I know these are a lot of images, but they might be of help to someone who doesn't have 3D cad capibility. Excuse the "wire frame" presentation, it is most laborious to hide hidden lines in my CAD program.

This first image is the overall drawing, with each course moved five feet to the right of the one before it

David
    My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

soldier course

The next couple of drawings are the isometric and top views of the first, or soldier course.

Comment

first through third ring

The next three drawings are of the first through third ring, where the bricks stop for the full width of the door opening.

Comment

Arch intersection

The fourth ring is where the dome intersects with the door arch. It would literally be easier to cut the bricks than do the 3D drawing of this detail, so there is just a gap shown.

Comment

5th through 6th rings

Here are the rings above the door opening, one will need a small keystone cut (not shown) and one will need a trim to fit bricks that "overlap"
          Last edited by dmun; 08-22-2005, 01:02 PM. Reason: remove redundant drawing (see later post)

Comment

7th ring and cap

You will notice the 7th ring has exactly twelve bricks. The bricks on the four sides will intersect with the four sides of the cruciform cap.

The four diamond shapes holes in the quadrants of the cap will be filled with custom cut brick segments.

Thanks for looking at these. If there is anything I'm doing way wrong, please let me know.

David
            Last edited by dmun; 08-22-2005, 01:03 PM.

Comment

CAD envy

I don't see any problems with your drawings, but I sure am feeling inadequate with any of my crayola-quality scrawlings I used to lay it out.

In truth, you'll likely some small variances, based upon any small inconsistencies in product or application. I'm only on my first row, so I'm no expert. I'd recommend giving yourself enough time to put dry fit each row as you go, then be careful to not use too much mud, so you can keep them tight as you work your way around.

Keep the faith,
              Michael
              aka PizzaMan

Comment

I can't help my self either I like to use Cad.

Nice 3d drawings. I like the Cap You made. Its different from the orignal Pompeii becuse in the plans you put in a wood form for the last brick course and the dome sort has a flat space there.
                Cooking Homer, Hmmmm Pizza

Comment

More CAD drawings

First a correction, in my former postings, what I called the sixth and seventh rings were identical, due to a cut and paste error. Now the last ring before the cap is called ring 7. I have edited the previous posts to remove incorrect information.

I have done additional drawings including brick counts.

You will see my small innovation to brick oven design: The entry walls are radial to the brick circle, which will simplify the geometry of the intersection of the dome to the entry, as well as provide more room to access the interior of the oven, and a larger working area for starting the fire.

First, the brick floor, which I have drawn in a herringbone pattern. It might be simpler to use the recommended ship-lap pattern, but I like this pattern. The floor uses 69 bricks.
                  Last edited by dmun; 08-22-2005, 01:06 PM.

Comment

Soldier course

The first course is the upright half bricks. I show the first courses with the side walls of the entry to show how and where they intersect. These walls slope up toward the oven, this will be explained when we get to the arch

The base is sketched here, just to establish just to show its basic size. No construction details are included.

Brick counts:

Soldier course 17 bricks
                    Walls of entry 14 bricks
                    Last edited by dmun; 08-15-2005, 01:24 PM. Reason: edit brick count

Comment

Lower rings

Here are the lower rings, which end at the entry walls. Some trimming of the end bricks may be indicated.

The brick counts:

Ring one 10.5
                      Ring two 10
                      Ring three 9.5

Comment

Upper rings

The 4th ring is where the arch intersects the oven, and some fancy cutting may be needed to create a smooth transition.

The fifth and six rings will need either trimming or a small brick inserted to line up evenly.

Brick counts:

Ring 4 10 bricks
                        Ring 5 9.5 bricks
                        Ring 6 7.5 bricks

Comment

Last ring and cap

As previously mentioned, the last ring has exactly 12 half bricks. This is so that the x-shaped cap center will be supported by a flat brick on each side. Each corner of the "x" will have a custom cut brick to fill the hole.

Brick counts:

Ring 7 6 bricks
                          Cap 9 bricks

Comment

Arch construction

I have drawn the arch-form bricks that Paulages found for his oven. I am alternating the two least tapered sizes to get the radius that I want. This goes from the height of one brick on end at the far edges to the desired height of 14 inches at the center I was tempted to taper the entire arch at the thirty degrees, but I thought this was asking for heat loss and smoke leakage. I haven't detailed the smoke chamber-to-flue transition. I assume some sort of funnel shape is indicated. I am likely to build this out of split (thin) fire bricks.

Brick count: 44 special tapered arch firebricks, or less, depending on the width of the smoke chamber.

The brick total so far:

171 standard bricks
                            44 special tapered bricks
                            an unknown number of splits for the smoke chamber.

As always, beware the advice of someone who doesn't have practical experience. I've done some brickwork, but never built an oven.

David

Comment

Originally posted by dmun
                              As always, beware the advice of someone who doesn't have practical experience. I've done some brickwork, but never built an oven.
                              Looks great. One thing to consider before you commit this to brick is to account for the mortar joint between the bricks. For the rings that's not a problem as the mortar doesn't intrude between the touching edges, but it does affect your flat bricks for the flue walls. Where you've got several bricks laying on edge butting against a vertical brick remember that 2 flat bricks with mortar between them will be taller than the single vertical even though the edge measurement is 1/2 the height of a brick. You can stack 2 on their side and they'll fit evenly with the one standing tall both with brick & with CAD but not once you add mortar to hold them in place.

Jim

Comment

Working...
                              X