36 inch pompeii cad layout

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Like the design.

Hi, Like the design, in fact that is exactly how I am going to do my oven, love to see your clouser for the flute.

Thank you.

Fabio.

Comment

Dmun,

Nice work. Did you say which program you used for the modeling? Really nice.

Can I double check this. You have a 36" interior oven, and have 171 bricks in the dome and cooking floor, and 44 tapered bricks for the vent arch. Is that right?

Can you say how many bricks went into the dome and how many into the floor? I can take your counts, and retro-fit them into the main set of plans for the material list for the 36" oven.

James
      Pizza Ovens
      Outdoor Fireplaces

Comment

This part of the thread starts with message #9, the floor. I show 69 bricks. This is without cutting bricks except at the front. I am increasingly convinced that the floor and the slab below it should be insulated on the sides as well as the bottom, as discussed in the "island hearth" discussion, and cutting the floor to the size of the outside of the dome allows less thermal mass to heat up with each firing. Cutting bricks would allow some half bricks to use elsewhere, and reduce the brick count.

I use Ashlar Vellum as my CAD application. CAD programs are like languages: Everyone thinks their's is best, and no one can understand anyone else's. Any 3D cad should do the job, it's just that Vellum, with it's drawing assistant, is easier to use. If I were just starting CAD, I'd most likely learn Autocad, as that's pretty much the industry standard. All the good CAD programs, those with 6 digit accuracy, are expensive.

David
        My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

All the layers together

In order to make my Avatar, I finally put all the layers of the oven together and cleaned them up. Here's the full size drawing:

Comment

as the guinea pig of the cut floor method (though round pre-fab floors are apparently used commonly in pre-made ovens), i must warn you that i haven't proven whether or not floor brick expansion against the walls is a problem or not.

i certainly had some unexplained expansion of wall joints, particularly where a seam lined up from one course to the one above it (even if you start each course with the seams opposing the previous, the smaller diameter of the newer course means that somewhere along it, the vertical seams will start to get closer...anyone else have this problem? mine was particularly bad between the 1st and 2nd course...). granted, my dome hasn't collapsed or anything (knock on wood), but it has also only been fully fired a dozen and a half times or so.

i have done temperature readings, and though i have nothing to compare them with, there is certainly a lower temperature on the outside walls below where they butt up against the floor, compared to the rest of the dome. to me, this indicates that the floor is indeed acting as a barrier from the direct, intense heat of the interior of the oven. regardless, it's probably a fairly negligible difference. my dome is fairly well insulated now, so it's a bit hard to conduct much more testing, unfortunately.

i would, however, highly reccomend the island hearth. perhaps james' new oven (are you and jim working on this one together, james?) with the island hearth will give us some new hearth temperature data.
            -Paul
            overdo it or don't do it at all!

My 2005 pompeii build

Comment

We have now installed the Casa oven on top of the island hearth. It does take a little more effort, but I am feeling very good about how it is going to perform thermally. I can feel it in my bones. You can visualize how the entire oven is going to be enclosed in vermiculite.

In terms of expansion, the Precast ovens leave a definite gap between the floor and walls. If you do cut your floor, give it room, or it will push out.

James
              Pizza Ovens
              Outdoor Fireplaces

Comment

cad drawings

hey buddy, would it be possible to ssend me a dxf file of your cad layout for my architect? There may be a free slice of pizza in it for you..

Comment

great drawings, chimeny question

the cad drawings were very helpful in visualizing the intersection of the rings to the chimney arch. in the arch building, did you build an opening for the chimney?

do you think that cutting out (with a skill saw and diamond blade) an opening for the chimney would work? we thought that using a staggered building design would increase the strength of the arch and we would cut out a 8" by 6" (or whatever terra cotta chimney dimensions are).

Comment

Oops

I didn't know this post was intended for me! It's an old thread.

I uploaded the dxf file to my website:

http://arcadianclock.com/everything/chimney/pompeii.dxf

depending on how your browser handles non-web files, it might save the document to your desktop, or it might display a long text file. If so, copy the text, paste it in a notepad type utility, and save it as "name.dxf"

Note to civilians: unless you have a 3-D CAD application that imports DXF files, you're out of luck on this file.

The drawing is sloppy, each layer is ofset 60 inches, for brick counting. You can re-assemble the oven by moving the layers 5 feet each in the X negative direction.

David

Comment

Re: 36 inch pompeii cad layout

I really appreciate you making your DXF available but, I tried the link and it doesn't work. Could you repost it or email to me? I'll take the native files if you can. I'm using the AutoCAD 3D version 2010.

Thanks, Bob

Comment

Boy that's an old message. It's a crude drawing, too. Your wish is my command, the link is active again. If you are on a windows computer you may have to copy the text, paste it into wordpad, save it as "pompeii.dxf" in the appropriate place(.dxf files are just ascii text), then you should be able to import it in your cad system. The version of DXF is R-14 if it makes a difference.

Comment

Thanks, I'll try it tonight and let you know how I make out.
                          Also, could you please check out my post here and comment.
                          http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f2/i...ring-6962.html

Thanks, Bob

Comment

This is the first I've heard of packing vermiculite. It's used for shipping liquids, with the idea that it will absorb the liquid if the bottle breaks. Clever. Since it's used for shipping lab supplies, I assume it's very pure.

VERMICULITE SPEC 1/2 AND spec 3/4 for LAB PACKING---SCHUNDLER PRODUCT GUIDE

The only vermiculite we've been warned about is the silicone treated stuff used for domestic insulation. This seems fine.

Comment

Thanks for the response,

I called Uline and they have notes for the product not shown online that states that it can be used in Landscaping and Gardening and as Insulation.

I can get some from someone locally about half the price of the online store Uline has.

Grade 4 means coarse particles in size, I think.... I've been surfing the net and looking.

Comment

I used packing vermiculite from Uline for my cement/vermiculite insulation and it worked great. No problems other than the fact that shipping is nontrivial. While Uline is more expensive than some other bulk sources it is vastly cheaper than quart bags at Home Depot or Lowes!

And delivery was fast!
                                Jay

Comment

Working...
                                X