Spacers angles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spacers angles

Hello. I am new here and in the process to start the construction of the Pompeii oven. I have seen the info on the construction, but when explanation was provided about the spacers between the bricks to reach the arch, I diden't notice any mentioning of the angle of the spacers to completly enclose the top of the oven. I think that that would be very important, since the wrong angle and you could end up with a diffenrent top closure. Any suggestions anyone?

Thank you for any advice.

Fabio.

not sure exactly what you mean, but when you get to the point where you are having to cut pieces individually, the closer you can fit them together, the stronger it will be. the vertical arch spacing remains the same.
    -Paul
    overdo it or don't do it at all!

My 2005 pompeii build

Comment

The angle/size of the spacers will depend on what height you decide upon for your dome.if you draw a cross sectoin template prior to construction ,you can decide and adjust as you need to.

Comment

Hello David.
        Thanks to the reply, and maybe I did not expain myself correctly. If I build either the 36" or the 42" Pompeii oven what are the angels of the spacers supporting the bricks that is going to be laid above the first set of bricks, and following thereafter to achieve the right dome shape.
        I know that the angle of the sparer or wedges are different for both of the ovens due to their sizes.
        I don't know if anyone has ever measured the angle of the wedges or angles.
        Any information would be helpfull.

Thank you.

Fabio.

Comment

Not sure what the angle is but if you get some shim stock at the local Home Depot or building store you'll have the angle. Cut about 1 1/2 - 2" from the thick end and use these as the wedge. When you get to the last few rows (near the very top of the dome) you'll not need any spacers as the bricks get near vertical and you'll be slicing the bricks to fit. In fact, you'll probably get good enough at estimating the angle that you can stop using the wedges about 2/3rds of the way up.

The easy way to use the wedges is to put a few on your bricks spaced about every half-dozen bricks around the oven. Then, mortar bricks to the same angle on either side of the ones resting on the wedges. Do this a couple more times and you can pull the wedged bricks & mortar them in as well.

Jim

Comment

the CAD perspective

Just as a guideline, the CAD drawings of the 36 inch oven show that 11.25 degrees is the tilt of the bricks of the first row above the soldier course. The back is raised .809 inches. The subsequent courses are tilted 8.25 degrees, (.598" at rear). The reason that the first row is tilted more is that the center of the crosssection circle is below the level of the top of the soldier course (it's acutally about in the middle). This kind of thousandth-of-an-inch accuracy is ridicluous, of course in bricklaying . Cut a pair of round templates and follow them as well as you can by eye.

David.
            My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

Working...
            X