Chemicals in Firebrick

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chemicals in Firebrick

I have been searching for firebrick and I have had two dealers tell me that I shouldn't use their low or medium duty firebrick because the chemicals in it wil contaminate the food and possibly cause illness. They said that I should use transite bricks, which neither of the dealers sold, so I'm not concerned about a possible ulterior motice. Does anyone have any info for me on this possible problem?

Thanks,

Paulie Gee

Re: Chemicals in Firebrick

Hi Paulie,
    I had trouble buying 'reasonably priced' firebricks and settled on second hand ones.
    How dangerous will these be? I ask myself, BUT they were used for probably 50 years in a gas fired furnace to produce steam in an old abattoir.
    I would ask your suppliers for specification sheets of their products and show them on your posting for members comments. I think that we would also need to know if there are dangers lurking around in the materials we use.
    Every other manufacturer makes bricks that are safe and have been used without problems for years. Maybe they are playing safe, trying to avoid potential impending litigation!

Neill
    Prevention is better than cure, - do it right the first time!

The more I learn, the more I realise how little I know

Neill’s Pompeiii #1
    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/n...-1-a-2005.html
    Neill’s kitchen underway
    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f35/...rway-4591.html

Comment

Sweet.. Now I'm freaked out. Good job Giannone.. I also heard Tomatoes make you depressed, Flour, cheese,and water mixed together cause obesity, Cancer is a sign of the zodiac, Soylent Green is people.. Cats steal your breath while you are sleeping, lighting cigtrettes from candles kill sailors and redheads are satan spawn.. I never leave the house.

Comment

Paulie, this thread has taken a silly tone but your question is fair. Neill is correct, you can ask for specifications, but if you are buying new brick from a dealer you should be able to use them worry free, and low duty are fine. The time people have raised legitimate concern about firebrick and chemicals are when the bricks were used in a smelter and are possibly (probably?) contaminated with lead, arsenic, stuff you don't want in your food (heavy metal poisoning would make us all a bit too silly).

Marc

Comment

Silly tone indeed. Thanks Maver

Ban Dihydrogen Monoxide Petition

Comment

Here's a short article I found online about fire brick food safety:

http://ceramic-materials.com/cermat/education/308.html

Comment

Originally posted by Dave M View Post
              Here's a short article I found online about fire brick food safety:

http://ceramic-materials.com/cermat/education/308.html

In theory a typical brick should be on no more concern than the
              average rock, the kiln is basically a device to create metamorphic square rocks
              Thanks for this informative link, I have deleted my snarky earlier posting.
              My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

That is a good link, but I quit worrying about the chemicals in firebrick after I read Patrick?s petition ? We?re doomed!!!!!
                Check out my pictures here:
                http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/les-build-4207.html

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.

Comment

What if they start putting it in Bourbon, pizza crust...
                  Mike
                  "The road of excess leads to the Palace of Wisdom."

Comment

Originally posted by redbricknick View Post
                    Sweet.. Now I'm freaked out. Good job Giannone.. I also heard Tomatoes make you depressed, Flour, cheese,and water mixed together cause obesity, Cancer is a sign of the zodiac, Soylent Green is people.. Cats steal your breath while you are sleeping, lighting cigtrettes from candles kill sailors and redheads are satan spawn.. I never leave the house.
                    You forgot radon and global warming... Oh, and the killer spiders that come up through drains...
                    "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Success isn't permanent and failure isn't fatal." -Mike Ditka
                    [/CENTER]

Comment

Originally posted by jengineer View Post
                      Silly tone indeed. Thanks Maver

Ban Dihydrogen Monoxide Petition
                      Hey now, that Dihydrogen Monoxide is some serious stuff. I hear it's a universal solvent, a leading cause of erosion, a co-factor in flooding, a contributor to mold infestation and a major factor in humidity. You can't be too careful with something like that.... <insert paranoid smilie here>

No, I didn't have to look - so nyahh!
                      "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

[/CENTER]

Comment

Yea, and if you breathe or consume too much of it you'll die.
                        Oven Progress
                        Bread Photos
                        Oven Stand Thread

Comment

Dihydrogen monoxide is also one of the primary combustion products of wood ovens, but I'm sure James is working hard at solving that problem so we can get the EPA off our back. The vapor form is one of the primary contributors to the sweltering summer weather in the southeast, yet people self immerse themselves in the stuff as a coolant (Archena, is that risk taking or just lack of common sense?) - can this be moved to chit chat now?

Comment

(Maver, both)

[/CENTER]

Comment

Working...
                            X