Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rockwool vs Insulfrax?

Hi,

Rockwool and Insulfrax seem to have similar max temp specs (about 1000 C). Any opinions on using Roxul for the dome insulating blanket? Roxul is readily available at Home Depot here.

Re: Rockwool vs Insulfrax?

The difference between these 2 products is the rockwool is harmful if inhailed where as the insulfrax is not.

Comment

Thanks for the info. I just read a bunch of postings here that state that Insulfrax fibers is safer when inhaled.

My house's walls are full of Roxul right now. Yikes!

Comment

Just don't inhale. More specifically, don't tear into your walls and inhale without a mask. As long as you've got a wall between you and the insulation it is harmless. The risk is to the installer and the demolition contractors. They get to wear masks.

Comment

I think that saying Roxul (minereal wool) is "harmful" is kind of vague and possibly misleading. As far as I know (and I could have this all wrong) there have been no studies that have concluded that mineral wool causes cancer or any long term health effects. If it did I don't think Home Depot would be selling it. That said, I use a mask at work when ANY insulation is being installed or removed because of the short term iritation and the fear that they may find a link to cancer down the road. To me it does't matter which insulation I use for my brick oven, I will be weariing a mask when I do it.

I kind of thought the Roxul idea was a good one. Wouldn't the R value be much greater that using a fiber blanket and vermiculite or perlite?

Cheers, John
          "Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas A. Edison

Comment

I think we are talking more about scarring in the lungs from mineral wool, not cancer. Again, a problem that can be pretty well managed by using a good mask during install, and is a bigger issue for regular installers, not for most of us.

Comment

What kind of price difference are we talking here?
              http://www.palmisanoconcrete.com

Comment

I haven't checked Insulfrax pricing here in Canada yet, but I did find a price here at Forno Bravo.

You can get a 96 sqft bundle of Roxul Safe and Sound for about $30CAD which is about $0.31/sqft. Forno Bravo sells 1" Insulfrax at $150/50 sqft roll ($3USD/sqft or about $4CAD/sqft). (Apologies in advance to our gracious hosts from Forno Bravo).

I'm thinking that you can box-in the dome and stuff the cavity with Roxul.

Comment

Working...
                X