Firebrick - Are these the right kind

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Firebrick - Are these the right kind

I am trying to get some prices on Firebrick in the Toronto area. Now one seems to know what I mean by Low Duty. They are 2/5x4.5x9" bricks and made for fireplaces. I am told they weigh about 1 pound each. The FORNO BRAVO details on Firebrick suggests they would weigh around 8 pounds each. Big difference.

Can anyone tell me how I cna be sure I am getting the right ones?

Thx
    Check out my build at:
    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/t...uild-4678.html

for what it's worth...

The fire brick I have in front of me (from Progressive Brick in New Jersey, US) measures 8 3/8 x 4 1/8 x 2 1/4 and weighs 6.1 pounds by the kitchen scale. A one pound brick would be the really heat resistant and soft kind they use in pottery kilns. I suspect that these wouldn't be available from a masonry supply.
    Are you sure it's not a misprint? As far as high-duty refractory bricks, they aren't available except from specialty suppliers. The fireplace kind are the ones you want.
    My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

I just went down to Beaver Vally Stone. They gave me a sample. It actually measure a little under 2" x 4.5" x 9". Not 2.5" as I had hoped and it weighs 5 pounds. So a thicker one should come in 6.5 pounds.

Sounds like the right ones.

Tx

Originally posted by dmun
      The fire brick I have in front of me (from Progressive Brick in New Jersey, US) measures 8 3/8 x 4 1/8 x 2 1/4 and weighs 6.1 pounds by the kitchen scale. A one pound brick would be the really heat resistant and soft kind they use in pottery kilns. I suspect that these wouldn't be available from a masonry supply.
      Are you sure it's not a misprint? As far as high-duty refractory bricks, they aren't available except from specialty suppliers. The fireplace kind are the ones you want.
      Check out my build at:

Comment

brick size

Actually, the narrower the bricks are, the smaller the gaps as you approach the top of the dome. Paulages used three inch brick at the top of his dome, and was unhappy with the amount of gapping. I thought about using split, or inch-and-a-quarter firebricks as I got to the top, but they are about the same price here as the full sized ones.

Bricks are one of the few truly local products left, due to the weight and low value both of the raw material and the finished product. They tend to vary in size and color from place to place.

David
        My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

Firebrick

I just came across a local company that deals in firebrick and even tiles.

They sell mostly med/high duty brick. The gentleman I spoke to seemed very knowledgeable and suggested that their med duty bricks are 32% alumina and 59% Silica. That leaves only 9% for impurities. The difference between these and the high duty is just the length of time they fire in the kiln.

FornoBravo reccomends 30% alumina and 50% Silica.

I told him that my previous experience with an oven was that it takes a good 3-4 hours of firing to get it white hot inside. He does not see this as a rapid fire and sees no reason why the High Duty bricks would not work. 3-4 hours is gradual fire and the bricks would work just fine. They weigh in at 7.5 pounds.

Before I commit, is there any experience that suggests these are a good fit? The price is good to. Comes in around the prices I have been quoted for the Low Duty bricks.

Thx
          Check out my build at:

Comment

Brick types.

Hello; I am building an bbq pit oven combe, kitchen, and much work has gone into research and all the small things that is involved in the construction. One thing that I was concerned about was the brick temperature, and remember that I had a BBQ on wheels and I lined the walls with fire bricks but did not remember what type. I went to a brick and sone yard around the corner from my house and stated to inquire as to the temperature, and no one new anything about it. I told the sales person that I will be buying 2 to 300 + bricks and that it is important that I have the temperature rating since there are several types of fire bricks. They called the manufacturer of the different type of bricks they handle and got me the info, and here it is.
            Light yellow bricks temperature rating is up tp 1,800?F.
            Measurements are: 9"L x 4-1/2"W x 2-1/2" thick, and the weightis about 6-1/2 ~ 7-1/2 Lbs.
            The temperature for the red fire brick good to 2,300?F, and the measurement looked to be the same.
            Yellow brick is more than sufficient for what we are doing.

Hope this is of help.
            Fabio.

Comment

Working...
            X