50" oven vent size

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 50" oven vent size

Anyone know if an oven larger than 42" internal requires a larger vent? Mine is 50" internal. Just curious if I should go with an 8" vent as opposed to a 6"?

Also, is there any product that can be laid out over the firebricks to make a smooth surface that will stand the heat and not crack or spall? I kind of doubt it as I haven't seen anyone doing this but thought I'd ask just in case (as I am at the floor stage now).

As always any info. provided would be greatly appreciated. Thanks to all who post.

Mongo

Re: 50" oven vent size

Originally posted by Mongo View Post
    Anyone know if an oven larger than 42" internal requires a larger vent? Mine is 50" internal. Just curious if I should go with an 8" vent as opposed to a 6"?
    I'm using an eight inch square for a 36. I'd be concerned about a six inch vent on that big an oven. From the Pompeii plans:

The following table outlines the internal diameter of the chimney for the different oven sizes:

Oven Size Chimney Diameter
    32" - 36" - 8"
    40"+ - 10"

Also, is there any product that can be laid out over the firebricks to make a smooth surface that will stand the heat and not crack or spall? I kind of doubt it as I haven't seen anyone doing this but thought I'd ask just in case (as I am at the floor stage now).
    I don't think there's a need for anything like this. Your firebrick floor should be smooth enough for any cooking need, and any high spot can be lapped off with a cut firebrick fragment. Do this sparingly: the factory "skin" is considerably harder than the inside of the bricks.
    My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

Oh so you are saying I have to read the instructions now??? Missed that little chart. I still can't grasp though how the rectangular opening converts to an 8" internal pipe? In other words how big does my rectangle opening have to be for the vent - 6 x 10 inches will still do it? Then do these pipes come with adapters or will I have to build a concrete or steel adapter or? Damnit I'm a cook not a mason haha.

You are right about the floor. The newbie in me was worried, but not that it's laid it doesn't catch on the peel at all so no problems there like you say.

Thanks for the info.

Comment

Considering that this is your restaurant oven...I assume...you might want to have a wider than 6 inches...8 inches should make pretty sure that no smoke gets beyond your outer opening. You should check some of dmun's posts...I think he made the throat for his oven cutting from two larger clay flue liners. There are a lot of options for stepping down to the 8 inch pipe.
        Best
        Dutch
        "Making the simple complicated is commonplace; making the complicated simple, awesomely simple, that's creativity. " Charles Mingus
        "Build at least two brick ovens...one to make all the mistakes on and the other to be just like you dreamed of!" Dutch

Comment

Working...
        X