Pompeii oven - too thick?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Pompeii oven - too thick?

I'm curious do you support the idea of wrapping the oven with wire and mortar for strength and/or mass or just support the idea of 4 1/2" thick fire brick.

"Since Jim brought up this historical thread, I should add that I no longer think the half-brick thick dome is too thick. The additional thickness adds only a little to heat up time, and adds a great deal to dome strength and stability."

Comment

Has anybody used the thinner fire bricks to make the dome. Although they do not cost any less, their use may provide less mass and more room for insulation. Instead of laying the bricks in the "classic" manor, I am thinking of making a wooden form that I can lay the fire bricks on [like tile] and then cast the entire dome in a few inches of thermal cement. I would also build an outer dome to allow for the addition of the vermiculite fill. Is this nuts?

Comment

I don't know what you would gain from building a dome from splits and covering it with concrete. Castible refractory is more expensive per unit of mass than firebricks in the US, particularly if you use the recommended stainless needles to prevent cracking. If the goal is just reducing mass, you also reduce strength, and the ability to hold heat.
        My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

Thanks, I thought it was nuts too.

Comment

Working...
          X