X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• waynebergman
    replied
    Re: anchor plate to vent

Thaks so far folks. Would 1/8 th mortor joint above and below the anchor plate be about the right thickness? I could also go with the screws just to make sure....wayne

Leave a comment:

• RTflorida
    replied

Just to clarify, in regards to the achor plate - I was refering to a Simpson Duravent anchor plate, which has predrilled mounting holes ( I added a few just to be safe). Like Wade, I don't ever want it to move. I think the only way it will is if the arch collapses

Leave a comment:

• RTflorida
    replied

Les, I didn't insulate the flue out of need or perceived need. I had the excess blanket, and rather than cut it where the dome transitions I just conntinued it. I wanted a certain amount of build up as well for doing the mosaic work - so my choices were to use up the blanket, add a couple more inches of perlcrete, or add a couple of inces of Heatstop. I opted to use up the blanket, thus finishing the entire oven the same way.

RT

Leave a comment:

• wlively
    replied

I pushed my anchor plate into the vent transition form after pouring the castable refractory. Same theory as mortaring I guess. After the casting set the plate was pretty solidly anchored. Should add I drilled 4 holes in the bottom flange for the refractory to grab. But, since I was closing everything up I went ahead and used stainless safety wire as an added insurance. You don't want that thing ever coming loose.

I think screws are a better choice, but my transtion was not wide enough to use the holes in the plate.

Leave a comment:

• Les
    replied

Originally posted by RTflorida View Post
    Finished over it in the same manor as the dome - 2" blanket
    RT,

You insulated the flue? Isn't the heat pretty much wasted at this point?

thanks,

Les...

Leave a comment:

• RTflorida
    replied

I used Tapcons and screwed it down to the arch bricks, then mortared around/over it (cladding layer). Finished over it in the same manor as the dome - 2" blanket, wire mesh, 3" of perlcrete, 1/2" type N mortar, and topped it off with my mosaic tile. So far no cracks or movement...knock on wood

Leave a comment:

• Ken524
    replied

I can't wait to read the answer. I have the exact same question!

Leave a comment:

• waynebergman
    started a topic anchor plate to vent

anchor plate to vent

Does the attachment of anchor plate to brick vent just get mortored in there with high heat mortor? Have not seen any pics of this being done so not sure. An eighth of an inch under the plate and the same thickness on top of the plate of mortor, would that be ok?....wayne
Working...
X