Kemo,
    Looking great! What's a watertable?
    RCLake

"It's time to go Vertical"
    Oven Thread

Comment

• Re: Kemo's South Austin Pizza Oven

Originally posted by Kemo View Post
      I want to use a metal roof...so far, all of my materials are non combustable

and as far as the trusses go...i think i stole the idea of the plywood jig from you! worked great!
      I'm going metal roof as well. Yep, that's my patented truss jig you borrowed. Looks like I'll be borrowing some of your enclosure ideas since you are ahead of me now!

Keep up the nice work!

Spring is in the air... I can't wait to get back at it!
      Ken H. - Kentucky
      42" Pompeii

Pompeii Oven Construction Video Updated!

Oven Thread ... Enclosure Thread
      Cost Spreadsheet ... Picasa Web Album

Comment

Originally posted by RCLake View Post
        Kemo,
        Looking great! What's a watertable?
        its a band of rock just along the top of the stone...it makes a little shelf and is built at an angle so the water runs off of it and doesnt pool up. My brother in law told me what it was, I had never heard of it either...
        Steve Kennemer
        Austin, TX

Comment

Kemo,

Awesome!!! I actually saved your pictures to show my wife. This is what I'm looking to do. Where did you get your limestone? You did a great job on the install

Any plans for the area above the oven arch? I found a round "decorative" stepping stone at Lowes for $2.44. I'm thinining of putting it above the arch to fill in the space and I was thinking about adding some "candle" light fixtures on the side. I love the "bump out in the front"!

Dick

Comment

Kemo,

I absolutely love your elevated landing that you built. You mentioned that it's made from travertine. Could you give me (and others that may be interested) a quickie lesson on how you built it? What did you use as adhesive/mortar to hold it together?

Thanks!
            Ken H. - Kentucky
            42" Pompeii

Comment

Nice work Steve. It all comes together, and really nicely, I might add. I look forward to seeing the finished product. Should be great!
              GJBingham
              -----------------------------------
              Everyone makes mistakes. The trick is to make mistakes when nobody is looking.

-

Comment

Steve, it looks great. Can't wait to see what you do next.

Sarah

Comment

Originally posted by thebadger View Post
                  Kemo,

Awesome!!! I actually saved your pictures to show my wife. This is what I'm looking to do. Where did you get your limestone? You did a great job on the install

Any plans for the area above the oven arch? I found a round "decorative" stepping stone at Lowes for $2.44. I'm thinining of putting it above the arch to fill in the space and I was thinking about adding some "candle" light fixtures on the side. I love the "bump out in the front"!

Dick
                  Dick,

the limestone is acutally a concrete rock veneer. you can get them at just about any rock supply company. They are only about an inch thick and you stick them on with mortar and grout like tile. Super easy, which is how I roll!
                  Steve Kennemer
                  Austin, TX

Comment

Originally posted by Ken524 View Post
                    Kemo,

I absolutely love your elevated landing that you built. You mentioned that it's made from travertine. Could you give me (and others that may be interested) a quickie lesson on how you built it? What did you use as adhesive/mortar to hold it together?

Thanks!
                    Ken,

the bottom shelf itself was built out during the pour of the structural table top. I ended up stopping my firebrick about 8 inches from the front edge of the table top. So I had this step up from the base to the floor of the oven. This was pretty big since i had the 4 inches of vermiculite plus the firebrick. I had originally wanted to make the front of my oven flush and go with stucco. Thru the guidance of this forum, I was easilly convinced to have an arch.

So, I made a rectangular mold about 5 inches deep and a few inches on each side of the oven opening and estimated the height taking into account the travertine and mortar thickness. I drilled about 2 inches into the table top and put in 3 rebar feet and tied in rebar inside the mold. Then I just mixed up a bag of concrete and poured it in there. I think i got lucky on that one since i kinda just eyeballed it

Then i just layed in the Travertine Floor Tile with regular old thinset mortar. Once it was all dried up, I tied in the new arch and built up the new structure around it.

Ill see if I can find some pics
                    Steve Kennemer
                    Austin, TX

Comment

i couldnt find any pics of the building of the shelf...but...hopefully these will help with the above story.

in the second picture, just imagine the concrete without the travertine

in the third, you can see the decorative arch simply built on top of the travertine shelf. I build the shelf wider than what the arch bricks would need plus a few inches. overall, I think it turned out real well.
                      Last edited by Kemo; 03-12-2008, 08:42 AM.
                      Steve Kennemer
                      Austin, TX

Comment

Originally posted by Kemo View Post
                        overall, I think it turned out real well.
                        Extremely well
                        Thanks for the details! I was thinking of doing a very similar concrete pour.

There are just too many good ideas on this forum! I'm sort of glad I ran into trouble last fall. The delay is giving me a lot of time to look at ideas
                        Ken H. - Kentucky
                        42" Pompeii

Comment

sorry so long on the update, but Im a fair weather builder...

I managed to get the trim work partially done along with the SOFIT. I had never even heard of the word SOFIT untill about 3 weeks ago. Anyway, here are some pics of the oven as of this morning. The trim is all Hardi material but I did use just a bit of real wood trim to make the Sofit look good. So far, thats the only combustable material on the structure. And now for the pics
                          Steve Kennemer
                          Austin, TX

Comment

and here are a few things occupying my Time...Pizza COOKING and installation of cabinets in my Garage (weather independent project).
                            Steve Kennemer
                            Austin, TX

Comment

Wow! Turning out really nice Steve. I'm totally impressed. I was a bit worried 3 months ago, but you've done incredible work. Congrats!

I think I first heard the word soffit a year-and-a-half ago. Funny how these things never make their way into your vocabulary, yet you see and live with them every day. But then again, I'm still trying to figure out how to fit antidisestablishmentarianism into a sentence that makes sense.

(geeze, I crack myself up. Sorry for the stupidity!)
                              GJBingham
                              -----------------------------------
                              Everyone makes mistakes. The trick is to make mistakes when nobody is looking.

-

Comment

Nice work Steve.
                                I am so far behind you... too busy cooking I guess.

It looks like you have figured out the pizza cooking, because your floor looks like
                                it's getting lots of use and your pizza looked perfect.

I, however, seem to have a dilemma now... I was going to leave my WFO dome shaped, but after seeing your enclosure.... hmmm..
                                What's a Dave to do?

Congrats on the build !

Dave
                                My thread:
                                http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/d...ress-2476.html
                                My costs:
                                http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?k...Xr0fvgxuh4s7Hw
                                My pics:
                                http://picasaweb.google.com/dawatsonator

Comment

Working...
                                X