Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

HELP! Can I cure and test oven before enclosing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: HELP! Can I cure and test oven before enclosing?

Define 'newspaper'. Seriously, newspaper 'logs' can burn reasonably long and hot. A grocery bag worth makes a nice campfire - never mind how I know this.
    "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Success isn't permanent and failure isn't fatal." -Mike Ditka
    [/CENTER]

Comment

Ever leave a sheet of plywood out and it got rained on? It bows up on the wet side because it expands due to soaking up water.

If one face of most materials are exposed to heat (like the wet side of the plywood) and the other is at outside temperature (like the dry side) the material tries to flex due to the difference in stress on the hot face and the cooler face. The amount of stress relates to the difference in temperature between the hot side and the cooler side. With materials like brick that do not flex - this stress can create cracks in bricks or mortar joints.

Insulation helps to keep the temperature difference between the hot side and cold side smaller - which results in less stress due to thermal expansion.

That being said, there are ovens centuries old that had no insulation or used poor insulation and they are still standing. I can't say that insulation pre or post cure is a requirement.

One school of thought is to fire without insulation - give the oven a higher stress than it will ever see while in use. Use that stress to find cracks that may occur in the weakest parts of the oven and patch them.

Another school is to fire with insulation and expose the materials only to the normal stresses that will be found during future use. Cracks may still occur.

Christo
      My oven progress -
      http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/c...cina-1227.html
      sigpic

Comment

It would seem, that with all the reasonable opinions regarding the different approaches, that the only way to be sure would be to build several identical ovens side by side and cure them with each of the various methods. Then, take them appart and do a forensic examination to see which held up the best after years of use.

This is really going to delay my oven.

Sheesh.

Comment

Either/or should work just fine.

Don't sweat it!
          My thread:
          http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/d...ress-2476.html
          My costs:
          http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?k...Xr0fvgxuh4s7Hw
          My pics:
          http://picasaweb.google.com/dawatsonator

Comment

Yea, with all do respect this subject has gotten W-A-Y to technical.

The fact of the matter is that either way is not going to destroy or seriously damage the overall structure. Keeping the curing fires low and slow as they should be is the most important factor in either scenario insulated or not.

When I built my test bread oven years ago (3X5) I cured it with the concrete and vermiculite layers on. Several years later when I built the bakery oven (8X10) I let the vault, hearth slab and insulation under the hearth cure for 30 days prior to moving forward. I fired the oven to cure the fire-clay then added the concrete cladding and insulation. Both never had issues.
            http://www.palmisanoconcrete.com

Comment

Shhh! We almost had him talked into running the experiment for us!
              "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Success isn't permanent and failure isn't fatal." -Mike Ditka
              [/CENTER]

Comment

Here's a photo of my oven in progress as of a few days ago when I first asked about curing with or without insulation.

If this posting works, I'll post more photos later.

Thanks1

DB

Comment

I have a question. Did u use red brick for your floor as the picture would seem, or is there fire brick on the floor we cant see.

Thanks
                  http://picasaweb.google.com/PasoPizzaOven

Pictures of My Backyard Oven Build

Comment

The baking floor of the oven is red firebrick, as is the dome.

All the rest, and the eventual shell, will be used bricks.

Comment

I like the way the red firebrick looks (I guess because most others are using the cream colored bricks).
                      Ken H. - Kentucky
                      42" Pompeii

Pompeii Oven Construction Video Updated!

Oven Thread ... Enclosure Thread
                      Cost Spreadsheet ... Picasa Web Album

Comment

Thanks!

I like the look of the red firebricks, too.

Progress report: The insulfrax arrived from Forno Bravo and we installed it around the dome. It wraps around and stays put pretty easily. I am in the process of curing the oven, now.

Brian, the mason, is in the process of curing his swollen, painful wrist.

I'm just hoping we can get the oven cured and covered before too much longer, so I can make Thanksgiving Pizzas--if not Halloween Pizzas!

Comment

Working...
                        X