Can I use insulating vermiculite concrete instead of mortar clading

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can I use insulating vermiculite concrete instead of mortar clading

I might just run out of mortar to complete the oven especially if I use the mortar to clad the outside of the oven before the blanket and vermiculite concrete treatment. If it comes down to it what will happen if I skim coat with a half an inch of vermiculite concrete insteat of the mortar cladding before insulating blanket and then the top coat of 4" of th vermiculite concrete after that. I find the vermiculite concrete easer to mix and work with, also its cheaper and I may be running out of the mortar. Can anyone see any problems with this?Thanks .....wayne

AT the point of the picture attached I have used exactly one half of my mortar.
    see below for my oven album of progress to date

http://picasaweb.google.com/wayneber...PizzaOvenWorld

Re: Can I use insulating vermiculite concrete instead of mortar clading

Wayne,
    Youe could always go the route of mixing your own for the outside cladding. Not expensive to do so and probably wouldn't make much difference...although you probably could go right to the insualtive stuff...you would just have less thermal mass so it would take less time to heat up but also would cool down quicker ...
    Best
    Dutch
    "Making the simple complicated is commonplace; making the complicated simple, awesomely simple, that's creativity. " Charles Mingus
    "Build at least two brick ovens...one to make all the mistakes on and the other to be just like you dreamed of!" Dutch

Comment

Wayne, I just toured your Picasa album.. Excellant details. You should have some shared on the forum, the clean work you are doing, and notes are perfect. Why the round base? Just curious.
      An excellent pizza is shared with the ones you love!

Acoma's Tuscan:
      http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/a...scan-2862.html

Comment

Never mind, you already have.
        An excellent pizza is shared with the ones you love!

Acoma's Tuscan:
        http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/a...scan-2862.html

Comment

Originally posted by Dutchoven View Post
          Wayne,
          Youe could always go the route of mixing your own for the outside cladding. Not expensive to do so and probably wouldn't make much difference...although you probably could go right to the insualtive stuff...you would just have less thermal mass so it would take less time to heat up but also would cool down quicker ...
          Best
          Dutch
          Dutch you are a very smart man.
          With what I am learning from this site my next oven will be much nicer, my first works great though.

Comment

Working...
          X