George's Pompeii progress

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: George's Pompeii progress

Wow! Thanks! You already have some, huh? I should have said something earlier.

Do you think it could be sent by mail or will we need to use UPS/FEDEX? Give me an price to cover your costs and and address by message. I'll send you the money.

G.
    GJBingham
    -----------------------------------
    Everyone makes mistakes. The trick is to make mistakes when nobody is looking.

-

Comment

Good work and good documentation George.

You are getting really close.

I've given up on finishing mine until the weather gets a bit nicer.
      I still need to do some repairs.
      I guess the buttressing like you have done.
      So thanks for documenting so well.

Dave
      My thread:
      http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/d...ress-2476.html
      My costs:
      http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?k...Xr0fvgxuh4s7Hw
      My pics:
      http://picasaweb.google.com/dawatsonator

Comment

Originally posted by Acoma View Post
        George, Dusty and I have extra from our ovens. Thanks Dusty, beat me to it.
        Extra ceramic board? I didn't use any ceramic board. I'm not even sure what ceramic board is. I hope that it is the stuff that Ky. Ken put on his door. I used the vermiucrete for insulation under my oven.
        But, hey, can we get a piece big enough to split three ways? Off the top of my head, I think I would need a piece 12"x18".

dusty

Comment

Sorry, I misunderstood. We can do that too.

My door is 20 X 12 to the angle iron and walls. 14.5 inches high at the height of the dome. I'm not sure of the dimensions of Robert's. I'd prefer to go to the full 14.5 inch height, but it's probably not that important.

Anyway, this is the same board that Ken used. I could see cutting the board to three 24 X 12 pieces. $66 to the one who orders it. Guessing probably an additional 15ish bucks for USPS postage between us, we could all have a 12 X 24 piece for about 27 bucks each. Still kind of spendy, but if you guys want to do it, I'll order it.

I've scoured the web for this stuff. The superisol board from FB would be just as good, but if memory serves, it's $75 plus shipping, plus our shipping between us.

Here's the link on Ebay: Kaowool "M" Board 2300 Degree F. 1"thick x 24" x 36" - eBay (item 130161565553 end time Jan-06-08 07:54:12 PST)

Let me know.
          G.
          GJBingham

-

Comment

George, mine is Insblock 19, apparently better insulation board then the Kaowool board Ken has issues with, being that moisture is causing Ken's to sag until moisture is driven out. No issue there with my stuff. Dusty, if you have this type, work it out with George. If you do not, I will get it coordinated with George and just charge him for shipping. George, your advice and input to my work has been pleny of payment so no financial is needed for material.
            Acoma.
            An excellent pizza is shared with the ones you love!

Acoma's Tuscan:
            http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/a...scan-2862.html

Comment

Originally posted by asudavew View Post
              I've given up on finishing mine until the weather gets a bit nicer.
              Dave
              Ahhh, come on Dave, cold hands in a warm water sink after working on your oven for 30 minutes....what could be better???

Acoma,
              Maybe I misread Dusty's intention. I'd love to get my hands on some of your excess ceramic board. As I posted earlier, 14.5 X 20 would do really well, 12 X 20, would do in a pinch. I'd insist on paying whatever your costs were for that portion of the board, plus the shipping. I'll send you my address by private message. You tell me how much money to send you.

Dusty,
              Duh, sorry I goofed.
              George
              GJBingham

-

Comment

I found the following at McMasater-Carr. McMaster-Carr

Rigid Calcium Silicate Insulation
                Made of calcium silicate, these sheets are designed for high heat conditions and are ideal for oven and furnace walls. They can be used indoors as well as outdoors if protected from the weather.
                High-Temperature Sheets

* Temp. Range: Max. 1200? F; low end not rated
                * Heat Flow Rate (K-factor): 0.73 Btu/hr. x in./sq. ft. @ 800? F
                * Density: 14.5 lbs./cu. ft.
                * Color: Gold

Cut with a handsaw. Meet ASTM E84 0/0 for flame and smoke. Package quantity is two.

1 1/2" Thick Per Pkg. - 6" x 36"
                9391K51 $18.18

1 1/2" Thick Per Pkg. - 12" x 36"
                9391K52 $35.02

2" Thick Per Pkg. - 6" x 36"
                9391K61 24.13

2" Thick Per Pkg. - 12" x 36"
                9391K62 47.74

2" Thick Per Pkg. - 18" x 36"
                9391K63 $109.34

I am in no way affiliated with McMaster-Carr, just a satisfied customer.

J W

Comment

Thanks JW. How did I miss this one in all my internet searches?

I'll see what happens with Acoma first. Good resource for others though.

G.
                  GJBingham

-

Comment

Chiming is a little late here, but I really like your outer archway! And the landing, it looks good!

Have you decided on how to finish the oven now...?
                    "Building a Brick oven is the most fun anyone can have by themselves." (Terry Pratchett... slightly amended)

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/p...pics-2610.html
                    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f9/p...nues-2991.html

Comment

Frances,
                      Stucco (plaster in your case, I believe) is my plan. I've already got the base coat over the dome. It's very rainy here most of the year so it may not be the best way to go, but it seemed the easiest for my setup.

I plan to put a cover over the area in the distant future, but that is just a dream at the moment.
                      G.
                      GJBingham

-

Comment

Originally posted by gjbingham View Post
                        Dusty,
                        Duh, sorry I goofed.
                        That's ok. But if that doesn't work out with Robert for some reason, I will go in on a piece with you. Like I said, I didn't use that stuff on my project. I saw Ken's door and thought that was the way to go.

KUTGW (keep up the good work)

dusty

Comment

No sweat guys, already shipped out yesterday. He gets the piece and shipping for FREE....

Acoma's Tuscan:

Comment

Thanks again Robert. Good to hear your voice yesterday. Maybe I can send you some backup batteries for your flashlights as compensation.
                            G.
                            GJBingham

-

Comment

George, thats ok. Only transformers will do

Acoma's Tuscan:

Comment

I was watching the weather satellite images on the news Sunday, and it looked like Monday (yesterday) was going to be clear enough to fire up the oven so that I could dry out the entryway bricks that have been bathed in water since my recent pour on the landing and subsequent brickwork. Also, I had not heat tested my chimney anchorplate.

Having promised myself that I was going to cook something next time I fired it up, I figured I'd try some Ciabatta bread. I figured I would use a long slow burn to dry out the oven for a few hours, then boost the heat and bake the bread.

I made the biga according to Jim's e-book recipe Sunday evening. Monday morning, I lit the fire in the oven and all hell breaks loose in the house. Kids going berzerk, the wife leaves for school and spills my yeast/oil/milk mix, dog runs away....

Anyway, it was early afternoon before I got the dough put together and mid- afternoon when I got the loaves formed for proofing (pic).

I only got the dome about 1/3rd clear with my fire before I let it burn down and raked out the fire. Anyway, the oven never got hot enough to level out at 500ish degrees. I put my door together temporarily with a kaowool blanket piece sandwiched in the middle. It worked like a champ! Tipping it back opened the bottom slot for incoming air and kept the early smoke out of my face.

Robert (Acoma) sent me a piece of his ceramic board leftovers, which I will install permanently into the door when time allows. Thanks again Rob!

If my bread had proofed earlier, I would have been fine, because the oven was way hot after raking out the coals. Live and learn. I think the oven was probably around 350, 'cause the bread crust didn't carmelize as well as I would have liked and the holes in the crumb were pretty pittiful, but it was really yummy. My wife ate a loaf and a half. I'll call my frst oven use a partial success and let it go at that.

G.
                                GJBingham

-

Comment

Working...
                                X