George's Pompeii progress

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: George's Pompeii progress

Out of wood? Yikes! Now what. Can you get well seasoned wood easily? I can't. I got stuck this year dealing with half-wet wood. What a pain. I've been agressive lately getting ready for the future. I have about 3 chords of wood that should be ready for summer. I think this will last a couple of years anyway.
    GJBingham
    -----------------------------------
    Everyone makes mistakes. The trick is to make mistakes when nobody is looking.

-

Comment

George,

I just looked at my profile, and under contact information where it says, ?Send an email to Guertio, click and it says?

Sorry! That user has specified that they do not wish to receive emails. If you still wish to send an email to this user, please contact the administrator and they may be able to help.
      This must be standard James text.

Where is says send a PM to Guerito, you click, and the standard send a PM form opens up. Stephanie sent me a PM saying, "Oh, I?m new here, and yada, yada, yada." There wasn?t a town listed, just 4 letters like fsd?, and not ?number of posts information.? That area was blank.

I should have kept a copy, before deleting the spam. Maybe I was the only lucky one!

Guerito

Comment

Guerito,
        Bizzarre. Perhaps someone just messing around.

Frances,
        After posting about chords of wood, I realized that is quite possibly a North American measurement equivalent to 4 X 4 X 8 ft of stacked wood. I'll let you practice your conversions with that one.
        GJBingham

-

Comment

Yep, here they sell wood by the "ster", which is approximately 1 cubic meter.

At 180 CHF a go... and that's around, um... er... 164.63 USD. I think that's quite a lot, but at least its fully seasoned and all. You can get it direct from local farmers.

Actually there's a guy I know who goes and chops his own wood and sells it unseasoned, he's going to sell me some come Springtime. Price yet to be determined.

1 cubic meter equals 35.31 cubic feet, so one chord would be around 3.66 cubic meters. Right? So Switzerland is kind of expensive. I knew that.

Hey, how do you pronounce chord anyway? Like church, or like choir?
          "Building a Brick oven is the most fun anyone can have by themselves." (Terry Pratchett... slightly amended)

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/p...pics-2610.html
          http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f9/p...nues-2991.html

Comment

Originally posted by Guerito View Post
            George,

I should have kept a copy, before deleting the spam. Maybe I was the only lucky one!

Guerito

And I thought I was selected because she felt that I was a kindred spirit..........

There was also a url in the signature which I haven't included. I forwarded the message to James to deal with.

Originally Posted by Stephanie

Hi,
            I'm new here, how's it going?

"Buddhism has the characteristics of what would be expected in a cosmic religion for the future: it transcends a personal God, avoids dogmas and theology; it covers both the natural & spiritual, and it is based on a religious sense aspiring from the experience of all things as a meaningful unity" - Albert Einstein

---
            Stephanie

Comment

Huh (?).....
              OK, interesting quote. Not much else to say about that. Not really spam though.

Frances, Chord is pronounced with the "hard" CH, like choir. I came out with 132 sq ft for a chord. Sounds like you math is correct, and you wood is indeed expensive.

I've found quite a bit of wood that people have dumped on old, slightly used roads. Trees that have fallen in storms etc, that they don't want to dispose of properly. It's a great source of wood sometimes, but then you need a chainsaw and a strong back to split it all up.
              G.
              GJBingham

-

Comment

Originally posted by gjbingham View Post
                Out of wood? Yikes! Now what. Can you get well seasoned wood easily? I can't. I got stuck this year dealing with half-wet wood. What a pain. I've been agressive lately getting ready for the future. I have about 3 chords of wood that should be ready for summer. I think this will last a couple of years anyway.
                Hey George.
                If the wood is wet...
                Throw you next batch in your wfo when it drops to abou 250f or so...

That'll dry it out.

I wouldn't throw it in much hotter than that though.
                My thread:
                http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/d...ress-2476.html
                My costs:
                http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?k...Xr0fvgxuh4s7Hw
                My pics:
                http://picasaweb.google.com/dawatsonator

Comment

Hi George,

I'm not very up-to-date at the moment so a belated congratulations on your breads and pizzas - they look good!
                  I share your pain in buying wood by the bag - we can't decide whether to take down a large maple or not, and we ran our old supply - which looked like a lot till we started firing the oven - down to nothing pretty quick, so right now it's Home Depot wood at $5 a bag. Five dollar bags excluded, however, I still think in general that I'm better off, price-wise, than Frances.

Sarah

Comment

Oops! I just glanced back and think I've got the treads mixed up about bags of wood, and that may have been someone else ... trying to read too many at once as I catch up. It IS YOUR bread & pizza that look good though - no mistake there!

Sarah

Comment

Sarah,
                      Good to hear your e-voice again. You got the thread right about the wood.

I think you may have a local Craigs List (craigslist.org) for your area. That is a great way to find firewood, though most sellers around here are dealing this year's cuttings, which will not be ready to burn for a year or so. I'm betting that you will find the same in Ottawa.

George
                      GJBingham

-

Comment

Originally posted by Frances View Post

Hey, how do you pronounce chord anyway? Like church, or like choir?
                        It's sounds Just like my "Ford" pickup truck, but with a C
                        RCLake

"It's time to go Vertical"
                        Oven Thread

Comment

Originally posted by asudavew View Post
                          Hey George.
                          If the wood is wet...
                          Throw you next batch in your wfo when it drops to abou 250f or so...

That'll dry it out.

I wouldn't throw it in much hotter than that though.
                          Interesting thought , getting the next batch ready for fire.
                          RCLake

"It's time to go Vertical"
                          Oven Thread

Comment

RC,
                            I like your description of the pronunuciation of chord. I don't think they have Ford pickup trucks in Switzerland, but I had a good laugh.

I've been "cooking" my wood after firing the oven. That works really well. 450 degrees is too hot though. You get smoke, but no fire. Once it cools down, I can only dry about enough wood for the next fire. It's hard to get ahead in the wet firewood game.
                            GJBingham

-

Comment

Thought I would chime in on the firewood issue. I too have difficulty finding dry wood here in FL. Plenty of wood on Craig's List, as you mentioned - this years cuttings and these tree trimmers and landscapers try to pass it off as seasoned. I have pretty much given up on them, none having wood that has died more tham 6 months. With our torrential summer rains and high humidity even truly seasoned wood still has a pretty high moisture content.
                              My first load last year was free (all hickory - good stuff from a friends felled tree), Same friend let us use their Georgia cabin in the mountains - brought home a truckload of oak and hickory in November - all gone now.
                              2 weeks ago I found what looks like a great supplier, local and seasoned. This guy selectively aquires oak, hickory and citrus and cuts/splits and most importantly seasons his wood. He has plenty of property and doesn't mind letting it season for a couple of years. Great stuff, very dry, [B]but over twice the price of the landscapers. I just paid $160 for a mixed cord of oak, hickory, and citrus. Good golly, seasoned citrus burns hotter than hell - LITERALLY. I hate his price, but the wood is fantastic. The ultra high temps (I was over 1400 degrees in the dome, hearth was over 1100) almost scared me, gotta get used to using the good stuff, I guess. Second go round will be this weekend, sure hope I learned form the first time, I thought my oven would never cool down.

RT

Comment

Originally posted by RTflorida View Post
                                The ultra high temps (I was over 1400 degrees in the dome, hearth was over 1100) almost scared me, gotta get used to using the good stuff, RT
                                Is 1400 really that hot?
                                My thread:
                                http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/d...ress-2476.html
                                My costs:
                                http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?k...Xr0fvgxuh4s7Hw
                                My pics:
                                http://picasaweb.google.com/dawatsonator

Comment

Working...
                                X