George's Pompeii progress

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: George's Pompeii progress

George and all... I am back in business, I updated my post... in the process to build the core...George you built the corner frame, which is what I am doing as well....any suggestions before I proceed? I saw you built a square corner..is it to get more landing space?
    Other question is regarding the heat resistant panel to put on the core....any suggestions on which kind to buy and where (internet)? thanks to all Carlo
    Ciao Carlo

Cost spreadsheet updated 4/22/08

Pictures updated 5/28/08

Comment

Originally posted by Les View Post
      Very cool George! It's looking great.

I was stacking wood into my storage area yesterday, and just about like everything else with this oven, it's a young man's sport

Les...
      So far I'm glad I did my stand as a "H" form with entry from both ends, I can't imagine crawling to the back to get something.
      RCLake

"It's time to go Vertical"
      Oven Thread

Comment

George, he did a wonderful job, are you bribing him with pizza or beer? Or both? What type of a finish are you thinking of for the stand?

Wouldn't a spigot coming off the the dome match the wine barrel thyme?
        RCLake

"It's time to go Vertical"
        Oven Thread

Comment

Originally posted by RCLake View Post
          Wouldn't a spigot coming off the the dome match the wine barrel thyme?
          My thoughts exactly! I think RC is on to something big here.

Got room for a kegerator in there!

You could always store wood on the side of the house or something.

dusty

Comment

Probably too hot for beer - but it could dispense melted cheese for the fresh baked pretzels

Les...
            Check out my pictures here:
            http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/les-build-4207.html

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.

Comment

Oh don't tempt me. I spent a ton of money on a beer brewing sculpture a couple of years ago. All grain mashes - 10 gallons per brew session. It makes grat beer. A kegerator and tap would definitely make an nice addition to the outdoor kitchen/bar. Money, money.... There's no end to the vacuum on my bank account.

RC et al... An L shaped BBQ with a gas grill and raised bar towards the deck, lighting and cover over everything is what I'm thinking at this point for my endpoint. We'll see. Everything morphs as I build.

Biondoli - I added the squared section of the hearth when I felt like I was a couple inches short of the space I needed for the oven entryway. (morph, as above) I'd like to be better at designing. Somehow, it's just not my thing. Some people are achitects and engineers. I'm a read the directions an put my own twist on it as you go kinda guy. Not the best, but I've gotta live with my gifts and deal with my deficiencies. Such is life.
              GJBingham
              -----------------------------------
              Everyone makes mistakes. The trick is to make mistakes when nobody is looking.

-

Comment

Love the doors George.

Excellent!

Can you send me a pair made of redwood?

Thanks!
                Dwats
                My thread:
                http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/d...ress-2476.html
                My costs:
                http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?k...Xr0fvgxuh4s7Hw
                My pics:
                http://picasaweb.google.com/dawatsonator

Comment

Dave - Contact Dusty. He lives closer to the Redwoods!
                  GJBingham

-

Comment

Originally posted by gjbingham View Post
                    Dave - Contact Dusty. He lives closer to the Redwoods!
                    Dang it George!

I guess I will have to build my own.... but at least I have a better idea now!

Make any killer recipes lately?

Dave
                    My thread:
                    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/d...ress-2476.html
                    My costs:
                    http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?k...Xr0fvgxuh4s7Hw
                    My pics:
                    http://picasaweb.google.com/dawatsonator

Comment

I did a lasagna last weekend. It turned out nice. The pic is on the other computer, so I'll have to upload it later.

I've got a leg of lamb in the freezer I'm dying to do, but two adults and two kids means a lot of wasted meat. It might be a nice treat when all the wife's family is over.

How's the mozzarella going? I'm going to try it, I think, if yours turns out well.
                      GJBingham

-

Comment

OK Dave, I switched computers. Lasagna al la Georgio! It was all gone by day two, so I consider it a hit.
                        GJBingham

-

Comment

George,

I love the brick work you did in the front. If I remember correctly - I thought you said you haven't done any masonry before??? I hope mine looks half as nice...

Do you have any pics of you building the front arch system? I couldn't find any but maybe I was looking in the wrong place.

Thanks
                          Dick

Comment

George, how many layers for the lasagna? Looks well done.
                            An excellent pizza is shared with the ones you love!

Acoma's Tuscan:
                            http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/a...scan-2862.html

Comment

Dave,
                              Three layers. A fourth would have been over the top.

Dick- I used an angle iron across the dome entrance, and an arch out front. You're correct that I had no previous experience with masonry. I't shows, but I'm still happy with the results.
                              GJBingham

-

Comment

Dick - pages 3 -5 of this thread discuss the oven entry/angle iron transition. Page 10 has the entryway arch pics and discussion.
                                GJBingham

-

Comment

Working...
                                X