Sarah's Progress Photos

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sarah's Progress Photos

Finally! With all our supply issues sorted out and some glorious weather (see first photo) after days of rain and gloom, we started the floor this morning. I had expected to be farther along than where we ended up by this time tonight but it's good to at least see something more than just the stand.

The cuts are not as elegant as others I've seen on the forum but we're working with what we've got and the outside will have a layer of mud anyway. While almost everything up to now has been accomplished in a 50/50 joint effort between my husband and me, I was happy to let him do all the saw work (he decided to make do with his old circular saw - I think he did a pretty good job given what he was working with) while I did the things like sorting, soaking, measuring, marking and placing the bricks.

Nothing's mortared yet - just wanted to get an idea of things by positioning the bricks - but at least we're up and running ...

Sarah

PS - to see earlier pics, see my thread at:
    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f21/...tawa-2724.html

Re: Sarah's Progress Photos

Hi Sarah:

Way to go this stage is much better than lugging 80lb bags of concrete and cinder blocks.

One question though, how high are you making your entry?

Julian

Comment

Fun and exciting times. Looks good and I hope the weather holds long enough for you.

Comment

We're still working that out - the plans say 12.5 inches for a 42-inch oven.

It looks awfully high in my photos but I think that's because many of the others seen on this forum have arches, which seem to start lower on the sides.

We can't decide whether to go arched or straight because we haven't yet been able to sort out some of the details concerning the transition between the vent and chimney - it'll be hard to go much further before we do.

Comment

Thanks Mojoe! I know we're pushing it, weather-wise, but so far it's held. We won't risk harming all our hard work though so we're keeping a close eye on the forecasts and will adjust strategies or quit till spring if we need to.

Sarah

Comment

Originally posted by sarah h View Post
            We can't decide whether to go arched or straight because we haven't yet been able to sort out some of the details concerning the transition between the vent and chimney - it'll be hard to go much further before we do.
            ...or you could do it my way and get to the top of the doorway with still no idea of what comes next . I thought it would be obvious once I got there, but noooo, it wasn't. Still, it worked out in the end.
            "Building a Brick oven is the most fun anyone can have by themselves." (Terry Pratchett... slightly amended)

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/p...pics-2610.html
            http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f9/p...nues-2991.html

Comment

Hey Sarah,

A quick tip for you, maybe it will save you some grief.

I used a piece of cardboard for the pattern of my the dome - mistake.
              I would suggest using something more substantial, if I had to do it over again, I would use a piece of Styrofoam or a couple pieces would be even better, or even plywood or OSB.
              And make sure you hold to the pattern. I didn't.. figured it was close enough. But my last few courses weren't even close to round. And I ended up using bricks cut in four pieces and some triangle-shaped ones as well.

But it did work out...

Thought I would throw in my two cents.
              My thread:
              http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/d...ress-2476.html
              My costs:
              http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?k...Xr0fvgxuh4s7Hw
              My pics:
              http://picasaweb.google.com/dawatsonator

Comment

I didn't figure out the dome /entry way transition until I got there either. That is why I have built everything all together. If I was to do it again, I would seriously consider skipping the entry way arch and just do a cosmetic arch on the outside. An arch just makes things more complicated with the cutting and transitions. With a straight angle iron supported doorway you will transition from the dome to the entry way on one course of bricks rather than several. Also it would be a lot easier to transition the chimney if it was flat.

The inspiration for my oven was from an Italian freind. His oven just sits on a reinforced stone wall. I have since learned that it isn't insulated at all, and is fairly open (it isn't a full circle, no chimney, no entry way. Best pizza I have ever had both sides of the Atlantic, no problem getting up to temp. My wife looks at the monster object I have built so far and is pretty much put-off, as she thought I was going to build one like my freind on a stone wall somewhere in a weekend. Instead I am cutting bricks in all kinds of weird angles for weeks on end. None of it will ever really been seen.

Ditto on the above comment regarding patterns. I bought some scrap peg board from HD, which has worked very nicely especially as it has nice even holes so you can really make certain everything is symmetrical. Definitely use some kind of pivot or string from the center to get the angles and circle correct. I am using a ruler mounted on a pivot in the middle.

You are on the right track though, I like the canopy, I wish I had one to work under.

Julian

Comment

More progress!!

It's been a productive afternoon and evening - we finished in the dark but round three is now complete ! It's pretty amazing to see the dome start to take shape and things seem to be moving faster at this stage - hope that continues to be the case.

Thanks everyone - I'll answer your comments tomorrow but for now, I'm done (in mant ways!!).

Sarah

Comment

Great work. I think we would all like to see you finish and enjoy your oven before your weather turns sour. Wish I could send you some of our heat (and humidity) for wintertime use. Still hasn't cooled below 90 degrees (day) 72-75 (night). As you hope for a bit more nice warm weather, we are begging for a cool down (and a bit of rain to avoid wild fires in the coming months).

Keep it up, we are all pulling for you.

RT

Comment

Wow! The biggest 3 courses in one day!!!

So, if once begun is half done, and add 3 courses on to that, You're 75% there!

Looking really nice!!

Christo
                      My oven progress -
                      http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/c...cina-1227.html
                      sigpic

Comment

Thanks Dave, Frances, Julian, RT & Christo for your input and encouragement ? it feels great to have made it to this point and even better to know how much support exists on this forum ? amazing!

No work today ? after a stellar day yesterday of sun and 75 degrees we got rain and cold (48F) today (RT, I?d trade if I could ? hope you at least get the rain to protect from fires) but the sun returns tomorrow so we?ll see what happens ?

As you can probably tell from the pics, we?ve decided to go with a flat entry (like Frances) and add a cosmetic arch later, as suggested by Julian. Dave, I?ll keep your advice in mind to try and keep things round but I?ll be happy just to see the finished product standing. I started out Sunday morning frustrated by a number of things (like my floor?s not as flat as everyone else?s) but somewhere along the way I decided that unless I really screw up somewhere, my oven will likely work fine and really, the little imperfections will all contribute to the character my oven (kind of like raw silk).

The vent, though, that is the question ? and I may have the answer. My neighbour Tom came over the other day to see what we?re up to and the vent came up in the conversation. Tom has some kind of engineering job and said he had a sheet metal guy who could put a transition piece together for me in a day or two ? all I need to do is provide the specs. It sounds great - if I can just figure out what the dimensions! I can?t remember who said that the key to it all is a funnel effect but how big & how high? I have an 8? clay tile flue, which is round so that I can brick around it later in a spiral pattern. If I brick my flat entry around all four sides the vent opening will be approximately 20? X 9? ? can I leave it that big (most vents seem to be much narrower but it seems to me that that?s mainly due to arch construction) and funnel it up to the 8? round in, say, a 10 ?inch rise? And how would a metal transition get attached to the masonry? Still lots to figure out! If I go with Tom?s offer, he?s owed some pizza & beer!!

Thanks again everyone ? hope to post more pics soon,

Sarah

Comment

Ha, the vent's got me stumped at the moment, too :-) I'll be reading any answers you get with interest. Would you drill holes through the metal into the masonry and hold it down with screws maybe?

I'm going to do it this way: I've got the chimney pieces, I'll build the entry, I've got a bag of refactory cement casting stuff... and, uh, it'll work out somehow...

Frances
                          "Building a Brick oven is the most fun anyone can have by themselves." (Terry Pratchett... slightly amended)

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/p...pics-2610.html
                          http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f9/p...nues-2991.html

Comment

I was originally going to build something for the chimney and vent out of firebricks and 8" round clay flue. I prefer the clay look. However, after reading reports of cracked flues, trying to figure out the whole slip joint vs. mortaring the flue, weight on the arch, I took the easy way out and just ordered the Dura-tec system from this site. There is an anchor plate which just makes things easy. More than I really wanted to spend and not the look I wanted. As far as the look, I was originally going for a Provencial stucco gabled look, my wife suggested a mosaic of half the globe which changes things a bit....

I hear you on the weather, I can only build on the weekends Saturday isn;t looking good right now.

Comment

Arrrgghhh!!! I finish work early enough to be able to work on the oven on weekdays but life seems to have a knack for getting in the way - rain, appointments that can't be re-scheduled, kids who need rides and food ... the list goes on and on. I had hoped to post more progress photos by now but pics of cut bricks are not a big thrill and that's as far as we got tonight .

I guess a different form of progress though is that we've sorted out the vent - we decided to go with our neighbour Tom's kind offer to have a metal vent made for us (free of charge!) so he came over earlier this evening and left with all the necessary measurements - we'll have a vent to install in a few days ... just need an oven to put it on ...

Tom has taken a keen interest in the oven and can't wait to try it out. He used to be a Navy cook on board a ship, where he did a lot of bread-baking. He tells a tale of an enormous batch of dough he made one time - it didn't rise right and the easiest solution for disposal, being dark and late, was straight into Halifax harbour. Next morning, he observed as the Coast Guard subjected a very strange floating mass (now well-developed and much-expanded) to careful and cautious scrutiny ...

Time to go - more of life's intrusions to deal with - fingers crossed that I'll get time to complete another round or two tomorrow.

Sarah

Comment

Working...
                              X