X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• gjbingham
    replied
    Re: 6th course is done (almost)

Tell me about it! Our ten-day forecast has called for only rain for the last month or so. Currently, it shows rain for............
    that's right! Rain for the next 10 days!

I can't bitch too much, cause I can still work under my cover, but I'm waiting for a break in the precip so that I can do a fire to check my chimney's anchor plate effect on the vent arch. Hey, at least it's not snowing

You're right, there's been some great games on to pass the time during the weather delay. February is a tougher month, huh?

Leave a comment:

• Les
    replied

George - when it gets this cold my mortar joints are not my biggest concern. The body joints are more important. I am staying warm and watching some pretty good games. The Pack game was canceled today because Utah couldn't make the trip. Apparently bad weather impedes all parts of life, not just our ovens.

Les...

Leave a comment:

• Acoma
    replied

Not like you see snow George. You only live in Washington

Leave a comment:

• gjbingham
    replied

What, you can't see your almost mortarless joints anymore?

Hope you're staying warm.

George

Leave a comment:

• Les
    replied

Still not done - nuff said...

Les...

Leave a comment:

• Acoma
    replied

Ya, I want en route to Sac to pick up bricks. Made me think...small steps.

Leave a comment:

• Les
    replied

Yea - I'm pretty much done for the winter on the oven. My next project is to rip out some of the pavers to get a better grade. I see a couple of areas where water wants to pool - kinda ticks me off because I spent a couple of hours shooting the grade with a laser. I had it nailed, but I was in a hurry to get them placed so I hired a few guy's from my neighbors paver crew. They screwed it up. I'm also hoping for a few good dry days so I can get them sealed as well.

Good luck if you continue through the winter - the snow was flying pretty good on Friday.

Les...

Leave a comment:

• Acoma
    replied

Well, I must believe that Les is done for the winter. Les, are you still on the 6th course.

Leave a comment:

• Acoma
    replied

C'mon Les. You can do the dome....a little at at time.

Leave a comment:

• Ryan
    replied

I am in the same boat here. I get home from work and it is dark. This past weekend was great but the prior 2 were really too cold. You are so close! You can do it!

Leave a comment:

• Les
    replied

Rich, I used a product called Insblock 19. I went with 4 inches in thickness hoping its overkill. You won't get perfect curves when cutting the brick but it's close enough. As you push the brick through the blade, you just spin it a little.

Dusty, I am just applying the mortar on the outside joint. This approach hasn't been proven yet so we'll see what happens. My biggest concern is that spalling may occur a little faster then if I had mortared all the joints.

Les...

Leave a comment:

• dusty
    replied

I don't know how to do the "quote thing", but in reference to when you were talking to me, I know what you mean. I'm starting to think that finishing your oven this time of year may be a curse anyway. Some of the rececently finished ovens have had bad luck, even with proven curing technique. If I finish mine this month or next, I think I will wait 'til spring to begin cureing it anyway. So, yea, no rush at all.
    Question. Did you put small amounts of mortar between all joints?

dusty

Leave a comment:

• rcspott
    replied

Les

Great job, couple questions please, what did you use for the insulation layer under the brick oven floor? How did you cut the curves on the brick oven floor tile on the outside diameter line?

Thanks

Rich

Leave a comment:

• Les
    replied

Dusty,

I believe I am done for the winter. I get's dark way early and the weekends seem to be timed for bad weather. If there is a span of a couple days with good weather, I may pull the tarps. No hurries.

Les...

Leave a comment:

• dusty
    replied

Les,
    How you coming along?

dusty

Leave a comment:

Working...
X