Oven vent....will it work?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oven vent....will it work?

I had a guy I know build a vent for me and I guess somewhere my idea was lost on him. He built this one so that it has a 2" lip on the front of the hood as opposed to running the front all the way down. It is a 42"ID oven and I will be using 8"ID triple wall pipe. Also I have lit about 10 curing fires with the last one being fairly dece in size and the pergola roof over top has not even seen any soot from them. This guy can weld a new front on but not for a month or so. Please let me know what you think and thanks again for the input everyone.

darren
    antibacterial soap...just say no!

Re: Oven vent....will it work?

I think I would get the front welded on...

Drake
    My Oven Thread:
    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/d...-oven-633.html

Comment

I concur. Either that or your stuck trying to brick it in.
      George
      GJBingham
      -----------------------------------
      Everyone makes mistakes. The trick is to make mistakes when nobody is looking.

-

Comment

I do plan to brick it in eventually but would hate to see a fire erupt in the meantime. I wish that he hadn't improvised the hood but I'd also like to get cooking.

Comment

Maybe you could get some light duty sheet metal cut it to size with some tin snips to lower the front like you invisioned and stick it on with some high temp silicon. You can then cook until your welder gets back and welds it up like you wanted.

Rich

Comment

That's what I was thinking also... some type of easy, quick fix until you can get it done right. I was even thinking of maybe just leaning a cookie sheet up against it and holding it in place with a couple bricks. Either way, it is only a month.

dusty

Comment

Dusty
              Seems like your guy made it more like a vent hood like that over stoves and such...not really what some might think of as a fireplace throat...I am glad you posted pics of this because in a commecial application one could consider this as an additional safeguard against smoke wafting out of the outer doorway during early fireup when the oven is smokier...you will definitely want to have that come all the way down to create a nice draw...the oven does not have to have a chimney and therefore this vent would work but a good throat to funnel the gases to a narrower opening will make your oven draw better...when I built my oven the vent opening and the chimney flue are the same size and although it draws well it would be better if the throat were more of a funnel shape...sorry for the long winded reply
              Best
              Dutch
              "Making the simple complicated is commonplace; making the complicated simple, awesomely simple, that's creativity. " Charles Mingus
              "Build at least two brick ovens...one to make all the mistakes on and the other to be just like you dreamed of!" Dutch

Comment

You can start cooking! You just will get some smoke out the front, If there is nothing to stain, no big deal...

Drake
                My Oven Thread:
                http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/d...-oven-633.html

Comment

Hi Darren
                  Sorry I dont have any sugestions for you but I have a few questions as I might build something similar. How were you planning to fasten the hood to the brickwork. How thick is the steel? Would 1/16" thickness be OK and mortar it in place? ....thanks wayne
                  see below for my oven album of progress to date

http://picasaweb.google.com/wayneber...PizzaOvenWorld

Comment

Wayne,
                    It is 1/16" sheet steel and seems to be fine. I painted it with stove black high temp paint to keep it from rusting.
                    I attatched it with concrete screws 3 in the back and 2 on each side and refrac mortared the gaps all around. The stovepipe is also installed in such a way that it is pushing it down in place.

As far as is it works with the lip: I have not lit a pizza fire yet but have made some pretty big ones with the flames coming out the front of the oven. The lip keeps all of the high heat going up the pipe but probably catches maybe 20% of the smoke. Once the fire is rolling well this isn't a problem but you want to stand back when the soot is burning off.

Comment

Darren,
                      A quick change of subjects...

Aren't you using multiple sections of chimney pipe to get clearance above your pergola? I'm curious how stable the chimney is with the sections locked together. Also, are you using additional support at the top or in the middle to stabilize the chimney system?

Hey, I just noticed that I live just up I-5 from you. Cool. Homies.

BTW, I'm curious about your antibacterial soap note. Gotta be a story there somewhere.

Thanks
                      George
                      GJBingham
                      -----------------------------------
                      Everyone makes mistakes. The trick is to make mistakes when nobody is looking.

-

Comment

George,
                        There are multiple sections. I bought them from a guys pulling a wood stove out of his kitchen and the two triple wall pipes just above the vent were threaded together then glued and calked when I got them. The single wall piece directly above the vent goes 1 foot up into the triple wall. There is a box that goes through the roof and another 2 foot sleeve that goes between the triple wall below and the 2 foot triple wall that rises above the roof. The box is the main support being bracketed to the roof gravity is doing the rest. An interesting note: I was worried about the leaking around the box as it is through a slanted corrugated aluminum roof but after much searching a found a somewhat new product which is neoprene in a caulk tube. It pipes on and smooths out easily and it is supposed to last 25 years. It comes in all the main colors and you can even put it on in the rain. Good stuff but don't use it in a closed room.

Comment

Oh and for the bacterial soap Triclosan was the ingredient that was added to the soaps for a long time but many of the companies are quietly switching to an acohol based sanitizer. The Triclosan was carried through the sewers into the lake and rivers upsetting the biology of said water systems. But as for any germ killer the harm is two fold. It kills the bad bacteria but also the good which are many and unsung. It also causes the germs to eventually mutate or adapt to avoid being killed and that only makes them more stubborn when we really need to kill them. And lastly it really hasn't ever been proven to be more affective than a good ol' fashioned handwashing.

Comment

Changing gears back to your vent.

Will the front show when the oven is completed? If so - it might be cool to make the front out of copper or stainless steel.....

Looking good!!!

Chris
                            My oven progress -
                            http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/c...cina-1227.html
                            sigpic

Comment

Chris,
                              I have thought of leaving it exposed so your idea about copper would be great. I plan on finishing with cement board and red brick facing. It cranked out a great Thanksgiving day meal 2 turkeys some bread and roasted brussel sprouts on the stalk.

Comment

Working...
                              X