brick thickness for top of landing arch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• brick thickness for top of landing arch

The start of my landing archwork is shown here in attachment. I have a one and a half inch reveal from the vent uprights and arch to the landing uprights and arch. If I stand my arch bricks on end for the landing arch for the top of arch as I did for the vent arch work because of the one and a half inch offset these bricks at the top of landing arch will be higher than the vent arch. My question is should I cut the bricks to be 3" instead of 4 1/2" wide so the tops of both arches will line up better? This will make my transition to anchor plate etc much easier but I will have only 3" in height instead of 4 1/2" on the top of arch brickwork. Is this OK or does it matter? ......wayne
    see below for my oven album of progress to date

http://picasaweb.google.com/wayneber...PizzaOvenWorld

Re: brick thickness for top of landing arch

I may be confused, but I understood your question to be "is a three inch brick thick enough for the landing arch? Simple logic (not REAL knowlege) tells me that yes, that is plenty thick enough. Should be plenty stong as the force of the anchor plate's weight will be transfered to the upright bricks - which will still be 4 1/2 wide. And you don't need to worry about heat retention in the entry since there is a bit hole in the top anyway. Hope this makes sense.
    Your vent arch looks great. Too bad you will only see 1 1/2 inches of it.

dusty

Comment

Re: brick thickness for top of landing arch

Thanks Dusty. This confirms what I was thinking but wasn't sure. I will go with the 3" bricks for the vent transition area so things line up flat for me at the anchor plate. Out at the front of the oven I can allways go with the full 4 1/2" brick for that rectangle look that might be nicer in apperance.....wayne
      see below for my oven album of progress to date

http://picasaweb.google.com/wayneber...PizzaOvenWorld

Comment

Working...
      X