Re: Keystone Day
Don't forget me too.....
X
-
Re: Keystone Day
Christmas Lights! A great idea, Although if I don't soon restore the view to our backyard for my wife, I will be spending Christmas in the tent.
Leave a comment:
-
Re: Keystone Day
Jim, I will be disappointed if there are no Christmas lights outside that tent. You can put a tree or two on the sides as well
As for temps, this is great news. Helps me to know processes for success going through the winter.
Thanks Jim.
Leave a comment:
-
Re: Keystone Day
Beautiful work Jim.
I'm proud of you.
Your keystone looked like a keystone. It is simply awesome! Mine... YIKES
I thought it would be more fun building the oven than cooking it in. I was wrong! The fun starts for you now!
Congrats, enjoy the fruit of you labor.
Dave
Leave a comment:
-
Re: Keystone Day
Robert here is the enclosure in action. 8pm with snow storm going 8" on the ground. Outside 21 degrees, 53 degrees inside. Inside dome 81 degrees, Outside top of dome 61.Originally posted by Acoma View PostJim, that was fast. You really got that dome up fast. With the cold, do you feel that you were slowed any? How about the cold affecting the mortered bricks, did you have a space heater always going? Look forward to more.
Jim1 Photo
Leave a comment:
-
Re: Keystone Day
That is a damn cool, personal touch. WAY TO GO!!!
Beautiful dome interior.
RT
Leave a comment:
-
Re: Keystone Day
Thanks Jim. Looks like I'll have to head over to HF and look at sand blasters
Leave a comment:
-
Re: Keystone Day
I agree. Awesome work! The inside of the dome is beautiful!
Congrats on getting that keystone in.
George
Leave a comment:
-
Re: Keystone Day
Jim,
That is very impressive work you've done, with excellent ideas on the enclosure and heaters. If you build so well, your pizzas must be awesome when the time comes.
Jim
Leave a comment:
-
Re: Keystone Day
I love the keystone. And definately love the LASER!!!!!
Maybe I'll print this out and leave it laying around and see if my wife will take the hint....
I suppose I could do something similar to that in my oven now - with a less techie masking technique - but I'm not sure I want to crawl inside my oven to sand blast......
Awesome!!!
Christo
Leave a comment:
-
Re: Keystone Day
Thanks All!
Ken & Sarah,
I have a laser cutter from a previous life, the etch was created by placing a vinyl resist on the brick and then lasering away the image. That was then hit with a sand blaster; where there is vinyl the sand bounces off, where there is none the sand cuts into the brick. Don't necessarily need a laser to accomplish this, photobrasive.com has an number of products one can use to create the resist, but you would need a sand blaster. A tool everyone should own - - one of my favorite toys and available cheap at HFTools.
Jim
Leave a comment:
-
Re: Keystone Day
Robert,Originally posted by Acoma View PostJim, that was fast. You really got that dome up fast. With the cold, do you feel that you were slowed any? How about the cold affecting the mortered bricks, did you have a space heater always going? Look forward to more.
Actually just appears that way. I am out of town a lot so I haven't been great about posting progress shots. Prior to last week the only photo I had put up was of the flaired arch http:// http://www.fornobravo.com/fo...ndex.php?n=819 That was November 7th and was probably from work at least a week earlier. From that picture it appears I was on course 7. So from 8 to 14 in a month.
As far as heat I have an arsenal: "A"(see attachments) An indoor propane to maintain working temp after I warm the place up with "D" (outdoor propane used indoor for 30 minutes or so just to bring the temp up). "B" is a small electric that I run in the dome overnight to keep the outside dome temp above 40 along with a dual halogen, which I only run one of the lamps.
But the real weapon against the weather is the 10x10x10 EZup enclosure ($199 from their site) Very nice heavy construction that once inside it keeps everything out. Has withstood heavy winds and two inches of snow (so far) The other great thing about it is that it is white, so shooting two halogen work lights at the ceiling for night work gives you great light with no shadows cast.
Jim2 Photos
Leave a comment:
-
Re: Keystone Day
Jim, congratulations! It's a beautiful dome and a terrific keystone - great idea to sign it. How did you manage to make it look so expertly done? Good luck forging on in the snow and cold - winter weather sure does slow things down. It sounds like you completed your dome at a good time!
Sarah
Leave a comment:
-
Re: Keystone Day
Wow, I wish I'd thought of that! Signing the keystone, what a cool idea!
And what a great keystone it is, I'm severely impressed...
Frances
Leave a comment:





Leave a comment: