Vent finished

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vent finished

I was able to complete vent and place chimney this past weekend. Also put about 3/8" of refractory mortar cladding on dome. Have had the halogen in the dome operating round the clock to keep the outside dome temp abe 45-50. Another winter storm rolled through today.

News out of Dave and Ken's camp regarding their respective arches has given me a bit of pause regarding curing fires. I left my supports inplace for more than two weeks and the front arch has supported my full weight on a number of occassions (230 lbs, . . . OK 245). The arch seems rock solid, although I haven't a clue the kind of force heat expansion with bring to the party. So I am contemplating putting in place a concrete abutment on both sides of the arch. The abutments would be anchored to the vermicucrete layer by drilling holes, filling with concrete and rebar verticals and then pouring the concrete into a mold over the rebar.

Any thoughts from resident structural experts (or anyone else) would be welcome and appreciated.

Thanks,
    Jim

Re: Vent finished

Looking good. I live the transition "box" everyone is starting to use on their vent. Starting to wish I had done that

Comment

Looks real nice Jim. I like the idea of the halogen lightl. Can you tell me how how hot the inside of the oven get with this light on....thanks wayne

Jim Iam also wondering about the issues with curing or the info you have that you are mentioning here about dave and kens oven. ....thanks wayne
      Last edited by waynebergman; 12-12-2007, 05:38 PM.
      see below for my oven album of progress to date

http://picasaweb.google.com/wayneber...PizzaOvenWorld

Comment

Wayne,

I wouldn't get too wrapped up about this. Of all the ovens built on this forum, I haven't seen but maybe 2 or 3 with serious arch issues. My problem was caused by a design flaw and a lapse in quality workmanship (I got too excited and hurried). Fortunately, I think my repair is working.

The engineering of your arch is far superior to mine. I think you'll be fine.
        Ken H. - Kentucky
        42" Pompeii

Pompeii Oven Construction Video Updated!

Oven Thread ... Enclosure Thread
        Cost Spreadsheet ... Picasa Web Album

Comment

Jim,
          Absolutely awesome work. I am in awe.

I have a feeling that your set up will work without abutments. Mine is similar to Ken's in arch height. Through all the curing, no problems with the arch. I think it's really just a matter of luck where each brick is placed in relation to the others that results in success or failure. Nothing you can really plan out. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

Your arch has more height to it and should be more structurally sound, at least from what I've read in the forum. If you're really stressing about it, use additional abutments. I always figured, that if something failed, I'd just adjust and do it again. I'm just surprised, I haven't had to re-work anything yet. I'm betting that you're going to be just fine (though I would have bet the same about Ken's). Whatever makes you sleep well at night is probably the best answer......
          GJBingham
          -----------------------------------
          Everyone makes mistakes. The trick is to make mistakes when nobody is looking.

-

Comment

Just went out to check. I have one of those two-halogen work lights that you can get at most homecenters for $29. IInitially started with both lamps on but Wayne suggested that that might be a bit overkill if not damaging to the recently applied mortar. So I cut back to one.

This evening it is 15 degrees (F) out. With the dome complete, cladding in place. I also have a piece of insulation board blocking the front of the arch so the only opening is the chimney. The temps measured are identified in the illustration below. Interestingly until you asked I had never looked at it this way, my interest was just to keep the outside temps well above 40, which we have been able to to accomplish with the one light in outdoor temps as low as -8F.

Originally posted by waynebergman View Post
            Looks real nice Jim. I like the idea of the halogen lightl. Can you tell me how how hot the inside of the oven get with this light on....thanks wayne

Jim Iam also wondering about the issues with curing or the info you have that you are mentioning here about dave and kens oven. ....thanks wayne

Comment

Jim, what ever happened to the photo of the back side of the arch tying into the dome. I hope to have the arch completed this weekend, but my back bricks don't go up. I decided to trim an inch from the top area of the flared front bricks to keep a consistant top side. You will see mine upon completion. I want to see yours though.
              An excellent pizza is shared with the ones you love!

Acoma's Tuscan:
              http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/a...scan-2862.html

Comment

Jim, I bet when you worked on the oven, or checked on it during the very low temps that you minimized exposing the tent flaps to outdoors

Acoma's Tuscan:

Comment

Originally posted by Acoma View Post
                  Jim, what ever happened to the photo of the back side of the arch tying into the dome. I hope to have the arch completed this weekend, but my back bricks don't go up. I decided to trim an inch from the top area of the flared front bricks to keep a consistant top side. You will see mine upon completion. I want to see yours though.
                  Sorry Robert, the holidays, travel, a bizarre malady and lack of thermocouples (which I finally got this week) has put me away from this project.

Attached are a couple of photos from the back of the tie in. As I said earlier there was a fair amount of prototyping (cutting foam insulation pieces to fit before transferring the dimensions to the brick being cut).

I also ground down the back of the arch to the appropriate angle and depth to accomodate that first full 360 course (the compass attachment helped mightily with this). Hope these help.

Tomorrow I will be posting a virtual walk through of the oven (still needs a bit of work) which will allow folk to navigate to every nook and cranny (and see every flaw) of the oven. The third shot attached is a screen shot of that walkthrough and the view of the back of the arch. It is shot with a 8mm lense which accounts for the distortion.

Sounds like you are making great progress.

Jim

Comment

Jim, thanks for the shots. We differ somewhat on the arch design. Once done with the arch you can see the photos of what I mean.

Acoma's Tuscan:

Comment

Jim,
                      I'm in awe of your work, I'm starting the 5th row and had a heck of a time figuring out the attachment to the arch. Finally solved this riddle but seeing yours makes me wonder what I'm getting in to. I have no master plan other than addressing each issues as they arise.
                      RCLake

"It's time to go Vertical"
                      Oven Thread

Comment

Originally posted by RCLake View Post
                        Jim,
                        I'm in awe of your work, I'm starting the 5th row and had a heck of a time figuring out the attachment to the arch. Finally solved this riddle but seeing yours makes me wonder what I'm getting in to. I have no master plan other than addressing each issues as they arise.
                        RC,
                        Thanks for the kind words. Each issue as they arise? - - The only way to go. And for me, nearly every issue was attached to tying the dome to the arch. As I mentioned to Acoma, the only way I could get through it was to prototype by carving pieces of foam insulation to fit, then transfer the cuts to the brick. The good news is that once past the arch things move very quickly.

If it helps, I have the bevel and angle calcs for subsequent courses and would be happy to send those along.
                        Jim

Comment

Working...
                        X