vent and transition progress

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• vent and transition progress

First picture shows yesterdays post of tapering square opening to the round pipe.

Second and third pictures here show the completion of vent area.

After all this mortar sets up I will attach the anchor plate to vent with more mortar. This "molditX" mortar I have been using for the brick work is quite handy for this kind of thing. I did use some of the castable product for the keystone on dome but the molditX is also real nice to work with to kind of shape and taper things instead of doing so to the actual bricks. Being kind of lazy to make all the fancy cuts I just floated in some scrape pieces of brick and build things up with mortar. Kind of made fillets on the corners etc to smooth things out.
    see below for my oven album of progress to date

http://picasaweb.google.com/wayneber...PizzaOvenWorld

Re: vent and transition progress

Sorry. I forgot to post my question.
    The anchor plate I bought was from my local fireplace supplier here in Canada. I have no pre drilled holes in the male section of pipe that extends upwards from this anchor plate to fit inside my 6 inch pipe. It is stainless and looks like it has a chrome finish. Super hard to drill into and even the supplied self taping screws are not really making a dint into this stainless pipe. My question is 2 fold.
    I have noticed folks are piling up the mortar, vermic concrete etc right up to the pipe so I am wondering if I really nead to screw it into place if I pile mortar etc all around this area.
    If I do need to drill it out and screw in place any tips on this.....thanks wayne

Comment

Sorry, I used the Simpson plate and pipe. They twist lock together - no drilling or screws.
      I would think a good, thick layer of mortar and the vermicrete would hold it, your only using a 3' or 4' pipe - right?

Comment

Yes RT I will have one 2' and one 1' section of pipe. I will proppably go about 3 or 4 inches up the pipe with my mortar and then a bit of vermiculite and then Type N mortar with small river rock facing it all.
        Should I bother going up the length of the pipe a bit with the vermiculite or would that be a waste of time?....thanks wayne

Comment

Originally posted by waynebergman View Post
          <snip>I will probably go about 3 or 4 inches up the pipe with my mortar and then a bit of vermiculite and then Type N mortar with small river rock facing it all.
          Should I bother going up the length of the pipe a bit with the vermiculite or would that be a waste of time?....thanks wayne
          While the additional height of vermiculite and river rock may not be needed, it will look great.

J W

Comment

Working...
          X