dusty dome is done!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dusty dome is done!

Yep!... I finished on x-mas with my family watching me set the keystone - very cool. They were all aware of how much it meant to me, and seemed to enjoy being there for the finish.
    Because of the big tent enclosuse, I don't guess I will be having a fire real soon, but I have been running a small electric heater in there for 16 of the last 36 hours, just to dry it out some.

First pic is me and my three boys in the back and my boy-in-law in the front, romancing the keystone.

dusty
    Last edited by dusty; 12-29-2007, 07:36 PM.

Re: dusty dome is done!

no words required

nice keystone
    nice family

good job my man!
    My thread:
    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/d...ress-2476.html
    My costs:
    http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?k...Xr0fvgxuh4s7Hw
    My pics:
    http://picasaweb.google.com/dawatsonator

Comment

Cool pics. The boys all look just like you. Awesome!
      G.
      GJBingham
      -----------------------------------
      Everyone makes mistakes. The trick is to make mistakes when nobody is looking.

-

Comment

Great job Dusty. Each and every one of these ovens is a labour of love. Many years of pleasure lie ahead.

Comment

Congratulations! Looks really good, its been fun watching your (4") dome take shape...
          "Building a Brick oven is the most fun anyone can have by themselves." (Terry Pratchett... slightly amended)

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/p...pics-2610.html
          http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f9/p...nues-2991.html

Comment

Originally posted by asudavew View Post
            no words required
            Well said.

Thanks Pal,

dusty

Comment

Originally posted by gjbingham View Post
              Cool pics. The boys all look just like you.
              Thanks George. I don't suppose they would enjoy hearing that but I do.

dusty

Comment

Originally posted by Inishta View Post
                Great job Dusty. Each and every one of these ovens is a labour of love. Many years of pleasure lie ahead.

Thanks Inishta. I did have a good time building it - and learned alot too. I can hardly wait to try cooking something.

And thank you too Frances. Soon we can swap reciepies and techniques and stuff! Keep in touch.

dusty

Comment

Woo Woo!!! Wonderful Keystone!! And just before year end!

Can't wait to see how you finish the opening and the rest of the oven.

I get a little teary eyed when I look at the pic - seems like only yesterday it was just 4 inches tall. They grow up fast these days....

Should we have a contest to see who's oven is born closest to New Years?

Christo
                  My oven progress -
                  http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/c...cina-1227.html
                  sigpic

Comment

Dusty, congratulations! That's so cool to put the keystone in on Christmas - makes it one you'll always remember!
                    Looks like you have a fine crew there to help out with pizza - whether making it or eating it!
                    Take it slow with those curing fires, then ...

Enjoy!

Comment

Originally posted by sarah h View Post
                      Dusty, congratulations! That's so cool to put the keystone in on Christmas - makes it one you'll always remember!
                      Looks like you have a fine crew there to help out with pizza - whether making it or eating it!

Take it slow with those curing fires, then ...

Enjoy!
                      Thanks Sarah. And, yea, setting the keystone on x-mas was really fun. After dinner and pie, when things started to slow down a bit, I just kinda snuck out there. Soon one of my sons came out to see what I was doing. I guess he went back in and made an anouncement because by the time I had the mortar mixed, there were 12 family members out there crouding into the tent. Again, very fun. Lots of laughin' and jokin'.

I will take some time to cure it, but I sure am looking forward to the "then...".

Question for y'all. - I can't have a fire with that tent up so I have been using a small electric heater in there to dry it out. Is this an acceptable curing procedure? Should I be unplugging it for a while each day? And should I still follow the standard curing process when I finally take the tent down - like in a month or two - or will it be cured by then?

dusty

Comment

Originally posted by dusty View Post
                        I can't have a fire with that tent up so I have been using a small electric heater in there to dry it out. Is this an acceptable curing procedure?
                        Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but it's my understanding that curing is more than just drying it out - it needs the progressively hotter heat from the fires to strengthen the mortar, which will prevent it from crumbling later. I'm not sure if this can be done later, after it dries, or if it is necessary to do this during the drying-out phase. Although it might be a pain to move your tent, it may be advisable to get those fires going somehow, after a week or so. Hopefully, some of the experts out there will see this and comment.

Sarah

Comment

Originally posted by sarah h View Post
                          Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but it's my understanding that curing is more than just drying it out - it needs the progressively hotter heat from the fires to strengthen the mortar, which will prevent it from crumbling later. I'm not sure if this can be done later, after it dries, or if it is necessary to do this during the drying-out phase. Although it might be a pain to move your tent, it may be advisable to get those fires going somehow, after a week or so. Hopefully, some of the experts out there will see this and comment.

Sarah
                          That is exactly what I was wondering. I'm going to go unplug it right now just in case.

dusty

Comment

Set the remaining bricks of front arch tonight. I know the keystone is missing, but my plan is to put a really cool sedimentary river rock there. I just have to see if my saw will cut it. I think it will.

dusty

Comment

My understanding of the oven curing is that you need to wait at least a week for the cement component to cure, and during that time the dome should not be allowed to dry out, or to freeze. That bit of curing is just like for regular cement.

And after that you need the curing fires, beginning with a small one, and slowly working up to a big one, to get the dome used to being heated up to pizza temperatures without cracking.

But I don't really see any reason why you shouldn't be able to wait for a month or two before starting the curing fires...?

BTW, your archway looks really cool Dusty, I look forward to seeing the special keystone!
                              "Building a Brick oven is the most fun anyone can have by themselves." (Terry Pratchett... slightly amended)

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/p...pics-2610.html
                              http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f9/p...nues-2991.html

Comment

Working...
                              X