X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Flue arch crack: how to fix?

Originally posted by DaveHI View Post
    no prob.

You may always fight differential expansion leading to cracks between rock and brick. I've no idea how different their coefficients of expansion are but it can't be zero. It looks pretty cool so keep it even if you have to live with a hairline.
    I understand what you mean. Hopefully the front arch won't get hot enough for expantion differentials to be a problem. I am very sure that it cracked the first time due to the rear arch crack. I am hoping that if I can stabilize that one, the front arch won't crack again. Fingers crossed.

dusty

Comment

mine gets pretty damn hot. The stack gases are heating one side of those bricks. When I get the fire a bit too big, flames get sucked into the plenum leading to the stack a bit. I've never hit the front face with my IR thermometer but I'd have to guess 200 F ish. the faces in the plenum are much hotter.

If I fire any time soon (too busy this weekend) I'll put up some figs.

Comment

Well, I will just have to deal with it. Hopefully I won't have to deal with a crack in front, but if I do, then I guess I do.

dusty

Comment

Wow,
          I wish I has looked at this thread before. It's just like going back in time, and seeing all sorts of familiar 'faces' having the same problem I am facing now. The idea of sealing while it's fired up... I have been contemplating.

One question I have, which is really not exactly relevant, but, what would happen if you force something to stay in place, while heating it up to an expanded state. Would it just crumble? ( a bit off the subject)

So, I guess you all have lived thought the cracks and I will too. I am hoping to bake/cook something THIS WEEKEND!!!

Lars.
          This may not be my last wood oven...

Comment

FWIW -- my crack never re-opened and I've fired the oven hard 2-3 times a month ever since.

thought I'd lost the password to this site

Comment

Dave,

Thanks for chiming in!!! YES!! That is what I am finding as well. On my second firing, I had a much less obtrusive crack in a different place, and yesterday, I got it pretty hot, and even the second crack did not open up!

I think it's good for the forum members to include these post build thoughts.

Lars.
              This may not be my last wood oven...

Comment

Working...
              X