First fire in Wisconsin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First fire in Wisconsin

February has been a killer month in Wisconsin, with the most snow falling for the season since they started recording it and most of it hit in February. This weekend was the rarity with two days of above zero (F) temps, no winds and clear skies. So I decided to push back the tent and start the curing fires. I am using the approach James suggested recently with all day fires from 300 to 700 degrees over the course of 5 days.

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f16/...tegy-3227.html

So far (after all of one day), seems to be working out great. Love how the dome looks after the first fire. Interesting how each experience gets you focused on a different part of the forum. After spending WAY too long getting the initial fire started I am now hitting threads that focus on that part of the process.

Jim

Re: First fire in Wisconsin

Congrats neighbor (with particular recognition for fortitude)....the post should be Firing in February....let it snow!

Soon come the cooking fires and the good eatin....
    sigpicTiempo para guzarlos..... ...enjoy every sandwich!

Comment

Congratulations Jim, I'm glad the weather broke for you to start. How are you monitoring the temp, IR gun or did you put in thermocouples?
      RCLake

"It's time to go Vertical"
      Oven Thread

Comment

Originally posted by RCLake View Post
        Congratulations Jim, I'm glad the weather broke for you to start. How are you monitoring the temp, IR gun or did you put in thermocouples?

I am using a combination of a thermocouple probe to measure ambient and a IR to measure various surfaces of dome, but after a very short time you get a sense for what size fire is required to maintain the temp. I am adding wood (small pieces) every 15 minutes or so.

Jim

Comment

Atta babe! Way to go Jim. Soon you will be switching you forum focus to Dave and his cooking shows!

dusty

Comment

Congratulations!!

It'll be cool to see how this curing method works out for you. When's the first cook-up planned?
            "Building a Brick oven is the most fun anyone can have by themselves." (Terry Pratchett... slightly amended)

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/p...pics-2610.html
            http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f9/p...nues-2991.html

Comment

JCG,
              How hard is it to maintain the temps according to the plan? Does it go up and down 100 degrees everytime you add wood then let it die down?
              George
              GJBingham
              -----------------------------------
              Everyone makes mistakes. The trick is to make mistakes when nobody is looking.

-

Comment

Originally posted by gjbingham View Post
                JCG,
                How hard is it to maintain the temps according to the plan? Does it go up and down 100 degrees everytime you add wood then let it die down?
                George

It hasn't been too difficult (although time consuming) because I am using small pieces (1/8 splits) and just adding two to three every 20 minutes or so.
                Put a 1/4 split on hoping I could extend the refresh time, but had to take it off because it moved the temp 50 degrees. So back to every 15-20.

Jim

Comment

That's kind of what I thought would happen. Electric or gas heat curing would be easier to control, at least I think, for the newest curing plan.
                  GJBingham
                  -----------------------------------
                  Everyone makes mistakes. The trick is to make mistakes when nobody is looking.

-

Comment

I've just removed by supports below the hearth and am wondering what I'll do with all the 2x4s. Could they be used in the drying fires or would the creosite be an issue?
                    RCLake

"It's time to go Vertical"
                    Oven Thread

Comment

RC

I'd use them for kindling, drying fires and/or initial startup fires.....save good wood for cooking. Creosote should not be too bad since when you get to pizza temp the soot will burn off.

I burn pallet wood when I can find them for generating heat....other woods for cooking.
                      sigpicTiempo para guzarlos..... ...enjoy every sandwich!

Comment

I've burned a ton of two by fours and construction garbage. Slow smokey fires are what cause creasote buildup, not high-heat fast fires.
                        My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

Originally posted by dmun View Post
                          I've burned a ton of two by fours and construction garbage. Slow smokey fires are what cause creasote buildup, not high-heat fast fires.
                          I know this has been discussed somewhere...

No concerns about chemicals?

So pallets and 2/4's (untreated) are fine to use?

Yeehaw -- Free firewood!
                          My thread:
                          http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/d...ress-2476.html
                          My costs:
                          http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?k...Xr0fvgxuh4s7Hw
                          My pics:
                          http://picasaweb.google.com/dawatsonator

Comment

Originally posted by asudavew View Post
                            I know this has been discussed somewhere...

No concerns about chemicals?

So pallets and 2/4's (untreated) are fine to use?

Yeehaw -- Free firewood!
                            Yup. Although my oven is not yet built I have used a wide variety of wood in cooking. I remember seeing a thread about wood in Pompei ovens and the consensus was that the ovens are not really fussy. It was also univerally stated that treated lumber and telepone poles should not be used. My rule of thumb.. untreated stray wood for startups, "good" wood for cooking.
                            Sharpei Diem.....Seize the wrinkle dog

Comment

I haven't had any problems with burning pine. I figgured it wasn't a woodstove so I burn pine all the time until the last few logs I throw in some hardwood.
                              Chuck

Comment

Working...
                              X