Mortar application

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mortar application

When mortaring bricks is the correct method to butter the bricks and set them into place?
    or
    Have them set in place and pack mortar into the angled joints?

what consistency should the mortar be?

You will never get enough mortar packed in. You will want to butter the brick, but try to not get to much by the side going in to d the dome so you don't have so much mortar to clean up when you are done.

Randy

Comment

I've just finished the first couple of courses this afternoon and I was buttering them and then laying them. After a few bricks you get a feel for how much mortar you need. If you soak the bricks for a few minutes before using them the mortar sticks quite well. I didn't mix too much mortar each time. Probably enough for ten bricks. I just wasn't confident about laying them very quickly, but it seemed to go ok. Well, I hope they're still standing tomorrow morning...

WhenI finished a batch, I used the little left over to pack any gaps. I don't think it's a good idea to mix new mortar if you have some old left in the bucket. Doing that with plaster a few months back meant it went off quite quickly, so I use it all, swill the bucket out and start fresh.
      Last edited by Wozza; 07-25-2015, 12:56 AM.

Comment

Sounds like you have a good working plan. That is pretty much exactly what I did. I also if I did not have enough to do one more brick would smear it on the outside of the dome or pack any joint that needed it. I do know this though the home brew does all of a sudden set up it is kinda weird. Good luck and make sure to post some pictures.

Randy

Comment

Thanks,

I started to mortar this morning and got the first course done. You are right, you get a feel for it as you go.

Comment

Working...
          X