Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Foundation in Minnesota

Hello all,
    I am planning my Pompeii Pizza oven in Minneapolis and have a few questions. It will have pavers on the front side of it (the pavers will have 12" of class 5 with 1" of sand) and was wondering what you would do for the pizza oven - here are a few scenarios I am considering.

1. Dig out 17.5" below surface - 12" of Class 5 and 5.5" of concrete (with mesh re-inforcement)

2. Dig out 19.5" below surface - 12" of class 5, 2 inches of Dow Cornings Foam insulation, 5.5" of concrete (with mesh re-inforcement)

3. Dig out 17.5" below surface - 12" of Class 5 and 5.5" of concrete (with mesh re-inforcement) with four sonotube footings in each corner

any advice?

thanks!
    Yeager

If Ice Heave is your concern, sonotubes do nothing for you unless you flare them or add feet. It merely gives the ice something to grab.

I talked with a few civil buddies and decided to take a look at nearby concrete at my place before choosing a foundation. My patio is 18x14, 4" thick without ANY reinforcement. I also have a sidewalk that curves around through a garden to the opposite side of the house. NONE of it has shifted or cracked in 7 years so I chose to do a heavily reinforced floating slab.

I dug out 12" below grade, laid 5" of crushed stone and gravel, then poured 8" of concrete over a massive grid of 1/2" rebar and remesh. I laid this grid at 3" above the bottom and another 3" above it. I also took my time curing. As soon as it was dry to the touch, I began misting it with water. I then covered it with plastic and kept it wet for a week. Proper curing is key.

I feel very confident that it will not crack through our winter/spring cycle. We will hit -15 to -20 during the winter at times, but I know your winters are probably a little more severe.
    "Half of the lies the tell about me aren't true!"

My 36" Pompeii Build

Comment

You will find extensive debates on this forum about whether or not to pour foundations below frost level or settle for a slab. Many guys will say that you must pour foundations regardless. Some will argue that if you're not planning a large kitchen installation that spreads out over a large area and are not attaching the oven to another structure, then a stand-alone oven will do fine with properly prepared ground/gravel/rebar setup. I live in Minneapolis and chose the slab option. I dug down 12", placed 6" of class V compacting every 2" and poured a heavily-reinforced (mesh and rebar) 6" slab. Now, I haven't gone through my first winter yet, and I'm not even done with my oven, but I'm sure that if this sucker moves, it will move as a unit. If it moves and doesn't move back to level, then I will regret my choice. But I've got a large patio with a similar prep and I haven't noticed any heaving that doesn't come back to it's original place.
      George

See my build thread here.

See my build album here.

Comment

I also live in Minneapolis area and went the slab route . I went 12" thick all the way around the edge and 6" deep for the rest, and lots of rebar. I also have not done my first winter but am not worried about it. Good luck with your build. I am almost done with mine.

Randy
        Attached Files

Comment

Working...
        X