Purchasing Bricks and Materials

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Purchasing Bricks and Materials

Im adding an outdoor fireplace, fire pit and pizza oven. The slab has been poured. Pizza oven plans to go to the right of the fireplace. i found fire bricks at different sites that gave me an old AP Green page that gives you a quantity for the number of #1 and #2 bricks needs for radii structures. Has anyone found a simple way to do this without cutting bricks? I would love to simply have a guide as to what bricks are needed and which bricks are needed for each course. Anyone know if this exists?

mrchipster created a spreadsheet that calculates bricks and dimensions when you enter some basic info. I couldn't find the post but I have the excel file but it won't let me upload...says it's invalid file type. send me a private message with your email address and I'll send it to you.
    George

See my build thread here.

See my build album here.

Comment

The radius brick will more than likely be high duty fire brick. High duty fire brick are extremely hard to cut. The best choice is a light duty firebrick for your floor and dome. Light duty is what is used for most residential fireplaces in the US.
      Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

Thanks for the input. I thought i should use medium firebricks?

Comment

Originally posted by Pologuy9906 View Post
          Thanks for the input. I thought i should use medium firebricks?
          Me too!
          When I built my oven, I asked a local brick supplier for medium duty firebrick. I actually got a "wire cut" medium duty brick. They were a 2"x 4" X 8" brick. Though, I liked the price, I did not like that those brick were not very true to size. For the floor brick, I went to another supplier who had only one type of fire brick. A 2 1/4" X 4.5" X 9" brick. They were a pressed brick and were very true to size. They were a light duty firebrick. It turned out in my favor that light duty and medium duty firebrick are ok for the dome, But, light duty is more favored for the floor. It has to do with how fast the types of brick heat up and then loose their heat. Most of us who try and source our brick locally are going to find only light duty in stock.
          Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

Working...
          X