silly questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• silly questions

I always thought that when I grew up, I would change my way of doing things. I thought I would properly plan everything out, but with my WFO project, I have gone back to my **** way of doing things (JUST DO IT), and this has led to problems.

In my haste to get the ball rolling, I went out and purchased $40.00 worth of Angle Iron that bridges the gap at the front of the block wall. I purchased 2x2x1/4" inch thick, and now realize that the plans call for 2x2x3/8" thick.

Does anyone know if this will be to weak to hold up the weight of the oven. Should I go back and buy the 3/8" thick angle iron, or will 1/4" be thick enough?

My other question concerns the vermiculite or perlite that is needed for the insulation hearth. I have been leaning toward perlite, mainly because I am such a hypochondriac (not sure on spelling), and read some where that vermiculite has asbestos in it. Unfortunately, I can not find perlite anywhere, but all the nurseries do have the vermiculite. I may just get over my fear of asbestos and buy the vermiculite anyway. My question is if anyone can confirm that vermiculite really does have asbestos in it, and if so, will it be a problem using it?
    "Pizza, the world's most perfect food."

Re: silly questions

Quarter inch should do fine. The real work of holding up your oven is done by the reinforced concrete support slab. Put an extra piece of rebar in the front part of the slab if you're worried.

There were some vermiculite deposits that were asbestos bearing, but they are not mined anymore. Any new vermiculite should be asbestos free, and say so on the bag.

I bought my perlite from an eBay vendor. The shipping was more than the material.
    My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

I prefer Vermiculite.

Much easier to work with in my opinion.

And I used both for the dome insulation.
      My thread:
      http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/d...ress-2476.html
      My costs:
      http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?k...Xr0fvgxuh4s7Hw
      My pics:
      http://picasaweb.google.com/dawatsonator

Comment

As always, dmun's got it perfectly correct! You might still want a respirator while you mix it up. It is dusty and can be inhaled. Even sans asbestos, its probably better not to breath it.
        GJBingham
        -----------------------------------
        Everyone makes mistakes. The trick is to make mistakes when nobody is looking.

-

Comment

I ended up finding perlite in Modesto at a horticulture supply business. I have never seen any photos of what it is supposed to look like, so am not really sure it is the right stuff. The perlite I bought kind of looks like course salt. Does this sound like the right kind of perlite?
          "Pizza, the world's most perfect food."

Comment

Try perlite.org

Comment

Again, just to clarify, why would one use vermiculite/perlite for the hearth rather than an insulating CalSil Board. I haven't priced them, but is it really that much of a cost differential? Seems the CalSil board is safer, easier, and a better insulator.
              Mike - Saginaw, MI

Picasa Web Album
              My oven build thread

Comment

If I was doing it again, I'd use the calsil board. The price was about half for the vermiculite. $75 wouldn't have made a bit of difference in the cost of the build. Choose your path, deal with your choices!
                GJBingham
                -----------------------------------
                Everyone makes mistakes. The trick is to make mistakes when nobody is looking.

-

Comment

Working...
                X