X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• gjbingham
    replied
    Re: Sorry - another Vermiculite Question

I think it will be fine. I like the idea of six inches of floor insulation too.

Leave a comment:

• Dutchoven
    replied

I will suggest the use of vermiculite...probably coarse...only because it has a tendency to break up a bit with mixing...perlite is what I used and it blew around horribly and was difficult to get properly mixed...
    Best
    Dutch

Leave a comment:

• thebadger
    replied

Gang,

I did do a search and only found one post about fine vs. course vermiculite. The preference was for for course but nothing "bad" was said/or suggested not to use fine. I want to use this to make my 5-6 inch insulating hearth (going a little thicker) but didn't want to use the wrong stuff. I've attached some pics... Maybe this stuff is "okay" - I just started to question when I saw the different grades on the package (none are marked).

Is this okay to use? I'm assuming the 5 to 1 ration is still okay with this type. Again, the place I bought it from has perlite that looks like the pictures I've seen posted and I can easily exchange it.
    Let me know.

Thanks
    Dick

Leave a comment:

• david s
    replied

I agree ,vermiculite is better to work with, and prefer to use it, but perlite has slightly better insulation value.

Leave a comment:

• gjbingham
    replied

Try a search on this forum for coarse verm. and one for fine verm. There's been several discussions regarding your question. I believe the medium was generally found the easiest to work with, but don't quote me on that.

I used coarse, without any major issues. The grain size was bb shot size up to twice that size - maybe 4 - 5 mm.

Leave a comment:

• asudavew
    replied

I used both.
    Perlite and Verm.

The verm. was so much easier to work with than the perlite.
    Hands down.
    I will NEVER play with perlite again!
    It was dusty, fine, and blew everywhere~!

My opinion....

As you were!

DAve

Leave a comment:

• thebadger
    started a topic Sorry - another Vermiculite Question

Sorry - another Vermiculite Question

Gang,

I did search the threads first and didn't see answers to my question(s).

Background
    I'm picking up supplies and my local garden store has both Perlite and Vermiculite (same price $19.99/ 4 cu ft).

The Perlite says "horticultural" grade and the granuals look like pictures I've seen

The Vermiculite has a "check box for horitcultural grade and a check box for fine med course - but nothing is "checked" (the worker says it's "med/course not fine") but the vermiculite looks like it is very small flakes - almost like sand but flatter. I picked up 4 bags but can exchange if needed...

Question(s)
    1. Are the size of Vermiculite flake okay/does it matter?
    2. Should I just go with perlite instead (same price and they have plenty of both)
    3. Is one safer vs the other (I guess a non issue "after" it's installed?)
    4. Can I use a "cheap" drywall mask or should I get a ~$25 respirator?

Thanks
    Dick
Working...
X