Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

can I reduce the internal diameter of my oven to 27 inch?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• can I reduce the internal diameter of my oven to 27 inch?

Hi all, I'm a bit constrained with my hearth size (built before I found fornobravo). It's 1200mm square (47inches) which means that if I follow all the Pompeii insulation thickness instructions, I'll be restricted to about a 700mm diameter cooking area (27inch).
    Are there any issues with this aside the obvious reduced cooking area? Or should I reduce the thickness of my walls somehow? Maybe less insulation?

Any comments very welcome, thanks
    Chris

Are you doing an enclosure or an igloo? You can take the final OD of the oven right to the edge of your hearth. So if you have 2X4.5" for brick (9") 2X3" for ceramic blanket insulation (6") 2X1" for stucco or render for and igloo (2") gives you 17" so I can see a 30" oven. With an enclosed oven, you can gap you framing/span your framing where the dome is near the edge. I guess is also depends on the final decorative material thickness if you go with an enclosed oven.

That said, David S of Australia has a small oven, thinking around 27-28" so look at his thread. There are some advantages of a smaller oven, less fuel, quicker heating times, he also does baking and roasting. So a small footprint does work if you are limited by space.
    Russell
    Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

I'm a bit constrained with my hearth size (built before I found fornobravo).I'm a bit constrained with my hearth size (built before I found fornobravo).
      We've advised some, who have decided to go back and pour a cantilevered slab on top of the existing hearth stand to get the size oven that they wanted. It really depends on what you can live with as for as oven size. But, skimping on insulation and the thickness of the oven walls is rarely advised on this forum. Unlesss, pizza is your only reason for building the oven.
      Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

Working...
      X